Molting Problem

gardensage

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
One of my hens has just started to molt and another hen is picking feathers out. The spot is getting sore, starting to bleed at the base of new feathers and she is caking it with mud. Any help stopping the picking so she can heal?

Blue-Kote is supposed to be an antifungal/anti-bacteria spray that also discourages pecking because it tastes bad (and the color is dark to hide wounds that attract pecking). Just beware of the color staining things, because it stains everything in sight. In fact, wear rubber gloves when you spray it, and have paper towels to absorb the excess so you don't find purple streaks on the walls from it rubbing off. It doesn't seem to dry very quickly, but I've had noticeable improvement when I use it.

There is also a newer product called Vetericyn that a lot of people seem to like for the same purpose. I think it is harder to find and costs twice as much though.

Last edited:
One of my hens has just started to molt and another hen is picking feathers out. The spot is getting sore, starting to bleed at the base of new feathers and she is caking it with mud. Any help stopping the picking so she can heal?

Look at the nutritional content of your feed. Add some crimped oats sparingly to feed ( keep grit and oyster shell available or mix a bit in feed before doling it out in troughs). Put some poultry vitamin-probiotic soluble powder in waterers a few days a week. Pine tar, when used sparingly on the affected area, deters picking. Blu-kote stains feathers a purple/blue color and dehydrates skin. Even my vet was annoyed when I used it once. Pine tar is used for hoof cracking in horses, so most feed stores should have it in the equine section. Some people have had success with Vicks Vapo-Rub too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom