molting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by foxcrossing26, Nov 30, 2008.

1. foxcrossing26

foxcrossing26 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    This is my first winter with chickens (three standard hens in their first year). Over the past 4 weeks, all of them have slowed down and then stopped laying. They are all losing some feathers, but one in particular is looking incredibly ratty -- no tail feathers left at all, and half her breast feathers have come out! The other two have not molted as badly.

My question is whether I should continue with the light that I mounted in their coop earlier in the fall. It comes on at 4:30 a.m. to give them at least 12 hours of light a day. Since they're not laying and apparently in various stages of molting, should I just quit using the light for now? When should I resume using it so that they'll start laying again?

TIA for your help!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well, all hens stop and slow in the winter, so while one is obviously molting, I would continue the light just to see if the rest molt or start laying once in a while. Out of 6 layers we get 1-2 a day and our roo is molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by