Molting question...

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
Two of my BRs are 2 years old. They molted last year (2008-2009 winter) between Nov and January. They still haven't molted this year and are STILL laying (nearly every day!). Do some birds just not molt every year (particularly hatchery stock). One in particular looks horrendous! We had a protein issue last year and have since upped it to 20% and all is better. But, between the feather picking (from the low protein) and roo action, this one looks ridiculous! I think she'd be cuter if she was in a molt.
hide.gif
She's got a jacket on just to keep her back covered. I just figured she'd molt late again this year (this one was the Jan molter), but it's spring now!! If she has to wait until next winter, then we're in trouble 'cause she is part naked, part ugly!
hmm.png

During our protein issues, she and a couple of her ornery friends broke the 2 roos feathers during picking as well. But, they are barely a year (last Tuesday) and I know they won't lose their broken feathers until next fall/winter, but we expected all of our 2 yr olds to molt this year.
sad.png

Any insight?

were other chickens with them that molted also? sometimes if you do an artifical light or other inviromental changes it can cause them to think its still summer and not molt. Sometimes people can do a forced molt to give the hen a rest.

My RIR hens are 10 months old and laying mostly an egg a day. They get artificial light from about 5am. They have feathers out in places, but I can't be sure if it is molting or that they are pecking each other. Are they likely to be molting when they are in full lay?

Back
Top Bottom