molting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by delfargo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

my chickens are only 9 weeks old and are starting to molt. at least that's what i think is going on. there sure are alot of feathers in the coop. i thought they didn't molt till they were older. is this common? i know it's starting to look like fall here in illinois, but i thought i read that they wouldn't molt 'till they were a year or so old. any input would be appriciated.

2. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    My coop and yard are full of feathers. My birds were hatched the week after Easter and have been molting since they were babies. I think its normal as they get thier adult plumage.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chicks grow in three sets of feathers before they reach maturity. One, when they fully feather out about 4 to 5 weeks old. Then again two or three weeks later, then again before they reach sexual maturity. Those last two have a molt associated with them. With mine this second molt and third set of feathers was about 12 weeks. Sounds like yours are going through their first molt. Get ready for a second one in another three or four weeks. I guess they need to grow bigger feathers as they get bigger.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are growing in their adult plumage. You'll see this for a while. It's completely normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by