Molting question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carladababe, Dec 6, 2011.

1. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    Two of my chickens molted a little this fall, one was about her head and has regrown the feathers and the other lost around her neck but the feathers haven't regrown fully yet. It's cold and snowing. I worry with the exposure she'll get sick. Should I stop fretting? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Mine are through a molt now and I was worried to with the cold, but they seem to be fine. Can't really do anything about it so I try not to worry. I figure all the wild birds go through it and survive.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Stop fretting. She will grow feathers back eventually and will be fine in the meantime.

I had a group of birds that one year did not molt until very late in the season. A few were still terribly bald into December when the temps here are about 20 degrees most days with snow and wind. The birds most afflicted tended to hang out in the house more, and definitely avoided being out in the snow and wind. They were fine overall, though. The cold didn't seem to faze them much.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by