Molting questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    My birds are just shy of 8 months old and of 11 birds 6 look to be molting. I thought this was kinda young. I can tell they are going to look like they have mange or something. How long does this take start to finish? It is pretty warm still. usually 60's at night and high 80s-90 in the daytime. Should I be concerned they are warm enough?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Young chickens will go through a light molt their first year. They will go through a heavier molt their second year. Time can vary widely depending on temperatures, feed and overall health of the birds. You can help them along by raising their protein levels in their feed. Any high protein food can be added. Things such as small kibble kitten food, tuna, black oil sunflower seeds, beans and such can be given to raise protein levels. They are plenty warm enough and higher protein foods will cause the birds to produce more body heat.

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Thanks much for your reply! I try very hard to be a good steward so I need all the help I can get.

4. nodoggies

nodoggies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    I've got a flock of 16 month old chickens who are molting, along with 4 month old pullets who are just starting to lay. Will increasing the protien in the food to help out the molters harm the pullets?

5. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    This is a GREAT question as I have 4 3 week old chicks in the mix.

6. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No, it will not do any harm. In fact, many people up north will automatically raise the protein levels of the feed during the winter months to help the hens continue to lay better and it will also help with the young layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by