Molting? sorry long post (pics)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by camjac, Jan 29, 2009.

1. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have 5 chickens that are a little over 6 months old. They are in a 10 x 6 coop with plenty of room to run around. They have been laying since Dec. 15 and I usually get 4-5 eggs per day. I have noticed over the last 2 weeks that my brahma is losing feathers on her neck. She has a pretty big bald spot on the right side of her neck and the rest of her neck is pretty sparse. I also have an EE that is missing part of her muff (right below her beak) and a BA that the feathers are pretty sparse on the front of her neck. I have been giving them a handfull of dry cat food once a day and they gobble it up like crazy. The problem is that there are no new pin feathers coming in. I have checked them for lice/mites and found nothing. Could this be feather picking or just a molt. I am usually out there 3 x per day and I have never seen anyone picking on anyone else. When I just went out to check them a few minutes ago I saw 1 feather on the ground and one of the other hens ate it. Should I be giving them anything else if this is a molt. The temps are in the 10s and 20s here and there is about 2 feet of snow on the ground so they will not come out of their coop but I usually leave the door open for 3-4 hours every morning so that they can look out (but they won't come out). I have read that alot of peoples chickens are molting right now I am just a little concerned that there are no new feathers coming in yet!Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like molting, just be sure to rule out mites/lice. Mine often molt that way. I have one poor hen who is bald and looks like it's her mission in life to look like a Turken, LOL.

3. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    That was exactly what I was thinking! [​IMG] I told my daughter we would soon have a naked neck! I just wanted to run this by some more knowledgeable chicken people. Thanks, SpeckledHen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by