Molting...what to expect??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Giddyup, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I've been through a couple now and didn't worry about it. But, having just lost my roo I'm questioning everything!

I know they stop laying....but is it normal for them to lose weight? Do some just look worse than others? I assume if it takes particularly long that it's a sign something else is wrong?

A couple of my hens seem to have lightened up. I only have 2 laying still and not sure who it is. Seem healthy otherwise but thought i would check?

2. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Our laying hens & roo lost a little weight, not much though...we have one hen in particular that looks horrible...shes got little pokey pin feathers Everywhere!! she's rather scary, nasty & creepy looking, lol.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Some seem to deal with moulting better than others. Some just look terrible and lose weight as well as feathers.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Ok dumb questions...

So why do they molt? When do they molt? Is it in the winter when they don't lay as much???

5. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Joy,

One of my girls just went thru a terrible molt. Up their protein.... 30% is what I have read in regards to molting chickens. She has been molting for what seems like forever..... between starting to loose feathers to regrowing it's been more than a month. And she's not done..... She also lost a ton of weight. I have her separated still and am feeding her an all she can eat buffet. Why they molt? I don't know - it's a bird thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by