Molting while broody in the spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama24, Apr 11, 2012.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Is that normal?

2. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    No one knows? Just wondering if I should be worried about her. She looks terrible!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That would be incredibly hard on her system to be broody and so not eating much plus be molting. I'd make sure she had food in front of her on the nest or something. I spoil my one broody that way anyhow. She will just sit so long and won't stay off the nest long enough to eat what she needs, so I put a little cup of food and a cup of water she can reach from where she's sitting.

Oh and no, I never heard of one be molting and broody but I suppose it must happen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Wow! Broody and moulting?

Check her over for lice/mites, just on the off-chance that is the reason for her feather loss. If she has an infestation, that would account for her feather loss plus lethargy (which could be mistaken for broodiness). Hopefully that isn't the case though and if it is, it is easily treatable.

To give her a boost, mash up some boiled eggs (if she's moulting, the energy boost of the eggs will do her the world of good; if she's broody it will also boost her system).

5. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thanks for the replies! I'm sorry I missed them last week. I finally took her eggs away on Mon. Only 2 were developed and it looks like they stopped weeks ago. As soon as I took her eggs away, she was back out and about like normal. No mites or lice. She looks hideous, though!

6. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    We also have a group of hens that are practically naked in spots! No lice, no worms, but no eggs either!

They have plenty of protein, seeds, and scraps of fresh veggies, LOTS of space, no real fighting either.
    Yes, we have a couple roos. Quite a mystery!

Any ideas?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Back above tail, back of neck, front of wings, over mating. Mostly tail, butt, feather picker. All over, molt. So where are yours losing feathers?

8. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    sounds like ours are molting then! with few to no eggs, that makes sense!
    we had really hot days for weeks, then really cold! I think they think it is fall!

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by