Molting??

Thank you for the info and all the help.! I too was wondering if because its warm inside the shed maybe it was an early or late ?molt. The reason I am leaning towards it not being the case is, because they do go out in the run where it's cold and the feathers were all in one central location there and not all over the inside of the warm shed and also seemed to happen overnight.She is in the same run and shed as last year and never did this, we also didn't have the Muscovy last year. She also has always laid eggs through the winter, but as soon as the Muscovy was done being broody, the eggs have stopped. I keep on checking on her as I want to make sure she is staying warm.She is out in the run( that is protected for the winter so I am guessing she is comfortable. I did notice she was "shivering " a bit. Now that its getting dark she has gone into the shed with the heat lamp. Do I need to bring her in to the house until the feathers grow back or will she go where it is warm if she feels she needs to?
My Muscovy went to a great home .The girl that took him is a friend and has other ducks and kinds of chickens. She will keep me updated on how she is doing. She will be as spoiled there as she was here :) I can visit her as well. Makes it a lot easier as I struggled with my decision.

Dorrie was obsessed with it too! That's a great way to put it ! LOL.. We are in Iowa where its been cold and snowy. If the temps get warmer I raise the heat lamp up and lower it when it gets cold. The Silkies love laying right under it. There are nesting boxes also , so when they get too warm they will go into them. The temps range from 40 to 60 degrees in the shed. We keep a thermometer near the floor so we can make sure it's not too hot.Since the Silkies have no down on them ,they seem to be little heat seekers. The neighbor hood knows that I spoil my critters and when anyone finds a stray anything... they bring it to me :) lol

Thank you for the info and all the help.! I too was wondering if because its warm inside the shed maybe it was an early or late ?molt. The reason I am leaning towards it not being the case is, because they do go out in the run where it's cold and the feathers were all in one central location there and not all over the inside of the warm shed and also seemed to happen overnight.She is in the same run and shed as last year and never did this, we also didn't have the Muscovy last year. She also has always laid eggs through the winter, but as soon as the Muscovy was done being broody, the eggs have stopped. I keep on checking on her as I want to make sure she is staying warm.She is out in the run( that is protected for the winter so I am guessing she is comfortable. I did notice she was "shivering " a bit. Now that its getting dark she has gone into the shed with the heat lamp. Do I need to bring her in to the house until the feathers grow back or will she go where it is warm if she feels she needs to?
My Muscovy went to a great home .The girl that took him is a friend and has other ducks and kinds of chickens. She will keep me updated on how she is doing. She will be as spoiled there as she was here :) I can visit her as well. Makes it a lot easier as I struggled with my decision.

I know how hard a decision that can be to re home.
hugs.gif
If you feel she is struggling to stay warm then by all means bring her inside but it will be hard to get her acclimated to the temps back outside once you do that. Why not close them up on frigid nights so you know for sure she is warm enough till her feathers grow back.
Dorrie was obsessed with it too! That's a great way to put it ! LOL.. We are in Iowa where its been cold and snowy. If the temps get warmer I raise the heat lamp up and lower it when it gets cold. The Silkies love laying right under it. There are nesting boxes also , so when they get too warm they will go into them. The temps range from 40 to 60 degrees in the shed. We keep a thermometer near the floor so we can make sure it's not too hot.Since the Silkies have no down on them ,they seem to be little heat seekers. The neighbor hood knows that I spoil my critters and when anyone finds a stray anything... they bring it to me :) lol
I think your doing all you can and the temps are close to where Amiga has her ducks over winter. Please let us know how she is doing. As for egg laying they do slow down after a few years and most likely won't lay much if at all over winter.

Back
Top Bottom