Molting

kchampion

Chirping
May 16, 2019
New Jersey
Hey peeps! My RIR has started winter molting. Ugh! First time molting monitor here.....shes about 9 months old and it's the dead of winter. What do I do? Fish? Eggs? They are eating layer feed now.

Usually when molting they dont lay eggs and are growing feathers. Feathers are protein rich. Add extra protein to their diet if you want, eggs or dry cat food or actual meat (beef, pork, chx, fish, etc) is fine, but avoid anything higher in sodium like leftover Chinese take out.

since you are inNJ, temps aren’t too bad generally. No need to worry as long as they can get out of the weather into a draft free environment.

I don't change my feeding regimen for molters. Protein can help with feather growth so if you want to supplement anything, add some protein (canned no salt/low salt fish, cat food, meat scraps). You may want to discontinue layer feed for the time being, or sub in some grower or all flock, as chickens that aren't laying don't need the extra calcium that's in layer.

Usually when molting they dont lay eggs and are growing feathers. Feathers are protein rich. Add extra protein to their diet if you want, eggs or dry cat food or actual meat (beef, pork, chx, fish, etc) is fine, but avoid anything higher in sodium like leftover Chinese take out.

since you are inNJ, temps aren’t too bad generally. No need to worry as long as they can get out of the weather into a draft free environment.
Thanks!

Hey peeps! My RIR has started winter molting. Ugh! First time molting monitor here.....shes about 9 months old and it's the dead of winter. What do I do? Fish? Eggs? They are eating layer feed now.
I don't feed differently when my chickens are molting. I have 37 laying hens, they seem to molt one after the other. I sell eggs, so I want them to have the layer feed. I give them (if I have extra) scrambled eggs, yogurt, cabbage, and meal worms for "treats". I give them very little corn, it's fattening and not good for them. Once a month they get a little, that's all. I also throw out some dove and quail birdseed once in awhile when they are roosting in the night so they can find it on their own in the mornings. Harvey the rooster, gets excited to find the seed and show the girls, he honks and honks! Molting is just something they go through and they will be fine! I put the yogurt in plant saucers for them. I use at least three at a time as I have lots of chickens!

Back
Top Bottom