Molting?

SammyJo425

Chirping
Apr 12, 2022
Hi! New chicken mom so as much as I’ve researched this on paper getting feedback is appreciated.

My chickens hatched last April so they are not even a year old. Egg production is good, not problems there. The rest of the flock isn’t having this issue. She is the runt and can be a little feisty sometimes. All of my chickens seem to be healthy and happy otherwise.

But I noticed some of her tail feathers are missing, so I examine her and her neck has a bunch of pin feathers. I don’t think it’s mites. The rest of the girls seem fine just her. Could she start molting in the middle of winter? It’s been mild, mid 40s which is uncommon for NY

Attachments

• 86B10B6E-35E0-4B38-8EEB-C7D3DB95AFD9.jpeg
    86B10B6E-35E0-4B38-8EEB-C7D3DB95AFD9.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 9
That looks just like my Marsala (rhode island red) who started molting a couple weeks ago, dead of winter (we'll be 5 degrees F tonight), so apparently that does happen. I am also a first-timer and had a mild freakout when I saw her neck, was sure she was dying. :D

That looks just like my Marsala (rhode island red) who started molting a couple weeks ago, dead of winter (we'll be 5 degrees F tonight), so apparently that does happen. I am also a first-timer and had a mild freakout when I saw her neck, was sure she was dying. :D
She’s a golden comet I think, she looks nothing like her sisters. I was just concerned if she was being picked on or molting, I thought young birds don’t tend to mold until their second year. She’s the only one losing feathers

I have 8, 9 month pullets, 2 are molting right now. I'm pretty sure it's just their bodies growing out of their feathers.
Ok I was worried she was getting picked on. Now she’s got pin feathers all around her neck like a ring of missing feathers

Back
Top Bottom