Molting?

chickslovinmama

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Aurora, CO
We have a 1 yr old splash silkie. A few days ago she just started losing feathers like crazy. Every time she shakes, itches, or moves she is losing feathers. I'm assuming she is molting because we havent seen any bugs or anything on her. It just came on real quick and she's losing them quickly too. She's still eating and drinking and dust bathing just fine. Just wondering as I thought most chickens molt during the winter. Our other hen has lost a few feathers but not like this (but maybe she will be next). The pic is her today sun bathing.
20230313_154406.jpg

We have a 1 yr old splash silkie. A few days ago she just started losing feathers like crazy. Every time she shakes, itches, or moves she is losing feathers. I'm assuming she is molting because we havent seen any bugs or anything on her. It just came on real quick and she's losing them quickly too. She's still eating and drinking and dust bathing just fine. Just wondering as I thought most chickens molt during the winter. Our other hen has lost a few feathers but not like this (but maybe she will be next). The pic is her today sun bathing. View attachment 3430695
I can't tell from here, but she looks healthy enough. It's probably molting. Keep looking for pin/blood feathers emerging in the areas she is losing feathers. If so, it's just molting.

I can't tell from here, but she looks healthy enough. It's probably molting. Keep looking for pin/blood feathers emerging in the areas she is losing feathers. If so, it's

I can't tell from here, but she looks healthy enough. It's probably molting. Keep looking for pin/blood feathers emerging in the areas she is losing feathers. If so, it's just molting.
Thank you. I will keep an eye out. Do pin/blood feathers come in as soon as they lose feathers?

Thank you. I will keep an eye out. Do pin/blood feathers come in as soon as they lose feathers?
The pin feathers don't appear immediately however if she has been losing feathers even a few days, you should be able to see some pin feathers on her somewhere. Check behind the neck and head, generally molting birds lose them here first. You will also see tiny pieces of what looks like skin. The blood feathers are covered in a thin like skin that flakes off.

Hello: Your information is exactly what I was looking for. I have ONE out of 19 hens molting. This is a new experience for me so understanding PIN feathers and BLOOD feathers is helpful. She has LOTS of PIN feathers going on. I'm relieved to know that is what this is. HOwever, I'm not finding any information that says they get picked on by the other hens. I have NO roosters. But this one molting hen is completely driven away from the food and any area she is in with the others. Is that "normal"? I have to feed her separately so she gets food. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom