Molting?

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Can a chicken who is 10 months molt? I have a buff EE who looks disheveled. She eats and drinks fine and is active. She has been loosing weight and feathers. I’ve checked over her and the others for lice/mites and nothing. She is the only one losing feathers and weight.

Diet: nature wise layer crumble free choice.

Treats: 1-3x a week at most consisting of a handful of scratch and one boiled egg, I crumble the egg for all of them to share. I’ve been out of scratch for like a week and a half, it’s just the egg and blueberries if I have them on hand.

They free range all day and then head in at night. She is number 2 in the pecking order so I know she isn’t being bullied. She pecks at the others if she wants all the treats for herself. She runs to the back door every time she hears it open waiting to get a treat.
Photos from like three minutes ago she was drinking mud water 🙄.

Any advice would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
    891.2 KB · Views: 11
I would say she’s not old enough to molt. Do you have a rooster? Sometimes, on first mating attempts, the cockerels will accidentally pluck a few feathers in trying to get into the hen’s back.
Nope it’s just the girls. All her tail feathers are gone. This is her before.

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 9
Young chicks molt too. It is the first adult molt that happens around 18 months or the fall normally after they are a year. It is possible for a pullet that was almost a year when the days shorten to go into a molt. Her age is not typical for when the days get short. How much weight did she loose? Is she still loosing weight?

I’m not sure I haven’t weighed her but when I pick her up she feels smaller. She eats just fine and is in the front of the line for treats. I think I’ll worm her just incase.

Back
Top Bottom