molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    There are a lot of feathers in the coop and outside it, can they be molting, it is november, I thought , they molted in the spring,,, they are not too bare and they are l, 2,3 years old, and some 3, Beecause of this and or less day klight we have now 10 hours or so, we are getting 1 or 2 eggs a day, and we have 6 laying hens, rir, buff, jet star. any thoughts on the molting

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Some molt in the spring and some molt in the fall and some molt both spring and fall it really depends on the bird. Mostly likely your birds are molting. Good luck!

3. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    when will they be done molting so i can get soem eggs l am only getting one for 6 hrns on top of decreased daylight,

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Increase your protein and make sure they go to bed with a full stomach. Corn is a good heat generator but not as their main diet of course. The average large breed chicken generates 10 watts of heat.

5. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Alaska, MatSu
    If you are getting less then 12-14 hours of daylight you may want to consider getting a normal white light and put it in the coop on a timer to come on early in the morning so they are getting enuph white light. Just a suggestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by