molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Nov 27, 2013.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

so 2 out of 4 of my girls have molted and are all done my 2 leghorns have yet to molt this will be there 1st year doing it as there a year and half old and there feathers are looking bad. My ? is its almost dec and there showing no signs of molting dose this mean they wont this year how ever we are still in high 60s during the day and about 42ish as low. should I be worried. my plan if they do though is they will be sleeping inside create so they don't catch a cold or anything but what happens if they don't drop there feathers.

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    are you sure they are not molting? i would check the feathers on their neck to see if you can see new feathers emerging. some do it where they only lose a few feathers at a time so it is hard to tell they are molting until they are well into the molt. also are you still getting eggs?

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

that's how cherrios molted but no these girls have not droped one dam feather yet still laying egg every day no black and white feathers found any where no molting at all

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    yay for you still having eggs! they may still molt this winter or just wait until next fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by