Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kdelorme2005, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kdelorme2005

kdelorme2005 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Vermont
    My girls have started to molt a few more then others. We have added protein to their diet but is there anything else we can do? It's super cold where I live (last few weeks it's been below zero) along with shorter days. They seem depressed and bored. Any suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Molting takes a lot out of a bird. My flock gets tired, low appetite and even some loose stools, (most likely because they are eating less and drinking more). They also can become a bit more shy than they normally are. I find that adding some probiotics to the water helps keep the immune system perked up. Apple cider vinegar helps to increase appetites, and they get some meat a couple times a week to help with the feather growth.

You might dampen their layer feed to help coax them to eat more as they need a balanced diet more than ever during a molt. Once your birds get thru the molt, they should return back to their old perky selves.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by