molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lucy henhouse, Dec 29, 2014.

1. lucy henhouse

lucy henhouse New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    I own 8 chickens and a little coop. Do I put all 8 chickens molt together or let them molt on their own? I grew up on a large chicken farm and we use to molt our chickens all at once and I was just wondering if I molt them all at once or let them do it on their own.

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would just let them do it on their own.

My limited understanding of a forced molt involves putting them in darkness for several days. I can see that this makes sense as a business owner, but as a backyard flock keeper, seems unnecessary.

I already cause some extra stress to the hens by supplying extra light during winter to force them to lay more eggs during winter. To cause them yet more stress by putting them in darkness for a week just seems too much, IMO.

Plus, if you allow them to molt on their own, they likely won't all molt at once, meaning you will probably still get some eggs, just fewer than normal.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I would let them molt on their own, it's the natural way. People only molt their birds to receive mass egg production, but it is not as healthy for the birds.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I just read somewhere that they withhold food and water to force molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by