Mom had fun at TSC... again

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hypnofrogstevie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    This time she brought 12 chicks home, 8 ST run and 4 pullets. RIR, ameracaunas and white rocks.

4 of each breed. [​IMG] and the ameracaunas are mine. [​IMG]

2. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Which TSC did you go to? Did they have a large selection of chicks or ducklings?

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I wish our TSC carried chics.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:It was sussex. They are almost out of chickens and my mom said they have alot of mallards left

5. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Mine only sold for 2 weeks in March. Bummer!! Good buy, though, on the Sussex!

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks. I meant sussex NJ sorry. I would love to get some speckled sussex one day though [​IMG].

7. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Just an FYI; usually Ameracaunas purchased from a hatchery are really EEs. True full-blood Ameracaunas are hard to come by.

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    They are brown with black on the tops of there backs. All 4 are like that. I was thinking that most EE's are mixed colors. Hopefully they are full blooded. I will post pics later on today and maybe someone will see if they are EE's or ameracaunas. [​IMG]

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Can't wait to see pix [​IMG] I need to post up new pix of my beebees [​IMG]

10. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Comments about these two breeds from feathersite.com for your reading pleasure:

Araucanas, Ameraucanas and Easter Egg Chickens

I don't have any purebred Araucanas. These rumpless (tail-less) and ear-tufted birds from South America are very hard to find. They are known for laying blue eggs. Most of the so-called Araucanas in the US are mixes that carry some of the original genes and lay variously colored eggs: blue, green, or pinkish. These birds are sometimes (and more honestly) sold as Easter Egg chickens. They come in white and many other colors. The American Poultry Association also recognizes a bird called the Ameraucana, which lays colored eggs and has muffs and a beard, not ear tufts, and comes in standardized color varieties. The Araucana and Ameraucana also come in a bantam form. And if you want to get even more confused, look at the (probably ancestral) Rapanui.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by