mom pecks baby

cshells2009

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
I am new to raising chickens (and to backyard chicken). I raised mine from day olds I received in February. I had a buff get so broody that I put 2 marans eggs under her to see what would happen because she had never laid an egg, just took over everyone elses . Evidently what happens is they hatch
smile.png
This morning I found a baby on the floor so I moved her to a separate location (modified an empty dog house and a chicken wired little yard) nest and all. I tried to put her baby in the nest and she attacked it! How did I screw this up and can I fix it? Will she attack the other eggs as they hatch? Right now I have the baby inside with a heat lamp setup. Should I take the other marans egg that has started hatching? At least I'm pretty sure it's hatching, it has a little chip missing from the end.

oh yeah, and evidently she got a few other hens to donate to the cause because she has 8 other eggs beside the marans I gave her. I have no idea when they will hatch.

welcome-byc.gif
from WI. I am not much help with hatching and baby chicks...sorry. I would keep the chick in a brooder, maybe put a featherduster or plush teddy in for company/snuggling/foster mom.....Keep an eye out on the eggs hatching to make sure she does not peck the chick(s) she hatches. Or do you have the ability to hatch, have an incubator??? You may want to post in the sections about a) incubating and b) raising chicks to get better answers....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom