Mom raised chix seem to feather out quicker?

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
Hatched 10 eggs with broody hen and they have been with her from the git go and I would swear they have more feather growth at 1 wk. than my chix i have raised in a box do at 2 wks. I know it doesn't work that way but have to refer to old pix if I can find them. Plus they hatched in may as opposed to the hatcherey chix normally gotten in february. Maybe because they have been exposed to cooler temps?(even tho with mom she had them out in 45 degrees with no problem-I would PANIC if my artifical brooder had gotten that cold).

I think you nailed it with the temperature thing. I found that my babies started growing and feathering out a LOT faster once I took them out of the (probably too artificially hot) brooder and put them in the run outside. They were 3 1/2 weeks old and nights were still getting down to the mid-40's some nights. They did not die, and actually seemed to thrive out there. I have spoiled birds in my backyard run today as evidence LOL!

I think the babies who are fussed over inside just don't get that early "thriftiness" and they don't *need* to feather out as quickly.

Hmm, I've been wondering similar things. I live in north Dakota and it gets cold here in the winter. I just bought my first chicks last week and am already starting to worry about them staying warm. I know people keep chickens here and they thrive, but I want them to be as hardy as they can, and I don't have a mama to teach them the ropes.!

Back
Top Bottom