Moma duck wont take care of baby just hatched

She only has a heating pad. When my duck started hatching she was a first timer also and I think she just freaked out tried to kill the one I rescued and I stupidly left the other one working on hatching and she did kill it.
This past year this Muscovy was experienced but she moved all bedding out from under the eggs and since Muscovy eggs are so think and Runner not I think when she stepped on them to help them hatch she crushed the shells before they were ready.

@Anna verano are you going to take the other eggs away from her? I'd candled to see if there is any thing in the air cell.Reason saying if there isn’t any viable duckling no sense going to trying to hatch. Might see a bill in the air cell

Last edited:
I'm going to candle them soon to see if there is life .. I'll Keep you posted
She only has a heating pad. When my duck started hatching she was a first timer also and I think she just freaked out tried to kill the one I rescued and I stupidly left the other one working on hatching and she did kill it.
This past year this Muscovy was experienced but she moved all bedding out from under the eggs and since Muscovy eggs are so think and Runner not I think when she stepped on them to help them hatch she crushed the shells before they were ready.

@Anna verano are you going to take the other eggs away from her? I'd candled to see if there is any thing in the air cell.Reason saying if there isn’t any viable duckling no sense going to trying to hatch. Might see a bill in the air cell

How’s the duckling doing did you get it set up in a brooder?
I got her on a heating pad and she seems to be doing good , she is chirping & looking around plus sleeping , I have been putting her by a lid filled with water to drink ,she takes a few sips but doesn't seem interested atm , she can get a round well for a baby when I put her by the water she is wanting to come back to me as quickly as she can .

Of course she imprinted on you! Sounds like she’s doing really good though. She may not do much drinking or eating since they live off the yolk sac for 2-3 days. I bet tomorrow you’ll notice a difference in activity. Did you set up a brooder?

Of course she imprinted on you! Sounds like she’s doing really good though. She may not do much drinking or eating since they live off the yolk sac for 2-3 days. I bet tomorrow you’ll notice a difference in activity. Did you set up a brooder?
[/QUOTe the duckling 's mom & dad I rescued from a retention pond near my home , the parents both have angel wing do to a bad diet ( from people feeding them bread ) I plan on removing the 2 eggs the mama is sitting on the babies inside the eggs don't look like they survived .. I have been taking the baby every hour to see her mom , I love the duckling & would for the baby to follow me everywhere since the covid19 have us all at home but I feel it's not fair of me to do that since her mom sat for 38 days & put all that time in caring for those eggs .. I think once I remove the bad eggs mama will love her precious baby she created & will be a good mama .. I can pet mama & touch her & she doesn't mind she enjoys my company & she is a gentle sweet duck .. I think she will take to her baby but for now the baby will remain in my care ..

I would like to thank you for all your help . I have a question what am I going to do for food for the baby if the pet store is closed ... I need crumble , I have regular duck food but no crumble

Back
Top Bottom