Momma hen sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noralie, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Noralie

Noralie Just Hatched

May 8, 2017
    I have a Momma with 8 babies. I went to check on them and mom is acting funny. Not walking around and can't keep her head up. I took her from the 4 week old babies which I really didn't want to do. I put her in isolation with food and water. I checked on her this morning and she's worse. Can't keep her head up and not moving around. Not sure what to do. Will the babies be ok without her? They are eating and drinking fine.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Babies / chicks at age they can wean just fine. You need to act fast. Check the following: her weight and appearance of her feces. Is she skinny? Is here feces runny? Obvious worm sign? Check for mites. What are you feeding her? Get her on electrolyte laced water.

Feed her a crushed boiled egg.

morganalefae and Noralie like this.
  3. Noralie

Noralie Just Hatched

May 8, 2017
    Her weight is good. I've checked her over...no obvious mites etc. She's eating lay mash and medicated chick feed with her babies. Poop does look different but not really different. This came on very quickly and she's going down hill quickly.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If weight good then worms and even external parasites not likely problem. If mosquito vectored issue others will be better to confer with. Some of those issues can be addressed with antibiotics.

Noralie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by