Momma hen

EarlMaesHens

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2019
I had or have a broody hen. I gave her 5 eggs. 3 of the 5 hatched . 2 died almost immediately I believe momma stepped on them . One has survived and looks very good. My question is when do I move momma and baby? Upon checking on her clutch I've found 1 dead chick under her . The other 2 eggs are not viable as I did the water test and they have not pipped we are at day 24 . The reason I think I need to move them is she has pooped in the nest and there is a dead chick under her . I'm worried if I dont move her and clean the nest the baby chick will catch a disease from the dead chick and the poo. Any advice please

20190825_084823.jpg

It sounds like that nest box needs to be cleaned. Can you pick up mama and baby and put them in a nearby nest box? Then clean out the one she was in. I think mama will likely be happy to be on the baby even if you move her. If you are really concerned you can try just lifting mama up and scooping all the nasty bedding out from under her.

Thank you for your prompt response ! Yes I have several nest boxes and cages I can move them too was just worried as this is my first time and didnt want her to get angry and hurt our only survivor:)

Thank you for your prompt response ! Yes I have several nest boxes and cages I can move them too was just worried as this is my first time and didnt want her to get angry and hurt our only survivor:)

put mama in the nest first, then put the chick right next to her so she can safely tuck it under her... if you put the chick in first i think you risk more injury when you stuff mama in on top of her, especially if mama is upset about being moved...

after you clean the nest box, you'll have to check on them... mama may take to the new box or you may have to put them back in the original location... mama will likely stay in the nest for the first day or two with her chick and not get out much (just like when she was on the eggs)

Do mama and baby have enough space to get up and move around comfortably? A nest box may be too small. I'm on week 3 with a broody and 3 babies and they spent the first week in a large enclosed dog crate within the coop with plenty of food and water at one end and pine shavings at the other end. That gave them privacy and time for babies to learn to walk. She stepped on them a few times but they are surprisingly resilient. Now they are in their own enclosure in the run with everybody else but the separate enclosure is more for the other adults' protection than the babies. Nobody messes with the babies but Mama is still fiercely protective.

Yes she is in a large dog kennel right now I am thinking of a small cage till I get her current spot cleaned
20190824_115752.jpg

Back
Top Bottom