Momma left nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by critters, Jun 12, 2011.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my Muscovy's left her nest after only 2 ducklings hatched out. The nest was next to my front porch and I could smell a rotten egg (or two)...Anyway, I took the eggs left behind out of her nest
    and was going to toss them when I heard some chirping....(there was 13 eggs, 2 hatched out with a third hatching only to die afterwards) leaving 10 eggs in the nest....I figured out which was rotten, only 1, and have
    brought the rest in and put in the incubator....of those, I am sure 6 eggs are ready to hatch...today is day 37 for these eggs.... I thought muscovys went 35-37 days...momma doesn't seem to miss her eggs,she came back @ 3 hours later....hope I can hatch them out...do I need to know anything special this late in the game??? I don't know, just wondering if I did right......

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Humidity will need to be really high is all I can say.. With the mother leaving the nest- they may have gotten a little cold for a while but the membranes may have dried out a bit too. They still have a good chance though- Fingers are crossed for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by