Momma mouse, and her..."Brood-nurse" LOL

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
Mallard hen Mouse is officially a momma, she's brooding on 10 or 11 eggs, started today. shes always been my favorite due tp her looks (she had such a baby face) personality(abit on the dominate side), and she has a white belly that just screamed "MOUSE" as a name.

anyways, her nest is tucked neatly away behind the sleep/ nest house that they never use, under a plywood overhang I put there long ago because they DO sleep BEHIND the house, to keep the sun/rain/and snow off of them.

anyway, my little white call boy "lil' ", has ALWAYS hung with the mallards, and he's always been in love with Mouse, follows her everywhere, he's found his calling, where is he? RIGHT beside Mouse on her nest, guarding her up a storm, he hisses and chases,and bobs and he's TINY, smaller than my other calls, but he's yet to leave her side, she doesn't mind.

now he's either truely wanting to help her, or being sneaky and waiting for HIS piece of the action, for when she leaves the nest, she gets swamped by horn-dog boys, is that normal, I've seen it in wild ducks, at the park I used to go to, but only while the momma was still laying, and after she'd leave the nest, why the so desperate attempt to mate a new momma??, so far she's had Jacobi the mallard drake, Big lenny the pekin, Mojo the mutt, and Harvey the call mate with her
ep.gif

will she keep that sperm to lay her second clutch with??, whats the point??

running out to get pics now!

If they are being too ridiculous you may want to make a little fence around her nest so they don't bug her...just put her own little water and food in there near her so she can stay on target and hatch some cuties!
Can't wait for pics of her and her little man
wink.png

anyone have an answer to this?????

so I just went out to check on the critters, what do i see?, Mouse AND Stencil, my fawn and white runner sleeping beside one another, STENCIL sleeping ON the eggs, these are not runner eggs, they are mallards, and they ARE mouses...my ducks are odd.

Back
Top Bottom