momma turning her eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadust1, Nov 17, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    has anyone every watched a momma turn her eggs....mine was doing it the other day when we were in there...she was shimmering/shaking her body and u could hear the eggs moving around under her...lol....what an experience!!! [​IMG] she was doing a "chicken dance"[​IMG]

2. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I've seen them do that before. It's amazing how instinct makes animals do things they probably have
    no idea why they're doing them.

3. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    My Silkie mom wiggles her body while laying on the nest. You can hear the eggs moving under her tush too. It's neat huh!?

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I have a silkie sitting right now. I am going to have to watch her more. I do know she makes a horrible noise when I pet her... [​IMG]

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Oh yes, the broody scream...warning you that she ain't playin'! [​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My BA puffs up and yaks . . . until I put the corn in front of her! [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wait until you see a hen carry an egg from one nest to another, that's a HOOT!

She'll tuck her beak across the egg, pull it into her "bosoms" and shuffle from one spot to another holding the egg under her "chin" and against her chest the whole way. Absolutely amazing!

Here's my very first broody moving an egg (look closely, it's a light green egg) back into the nest. She was broody in the middle of summer and we had a hot spell, during which she moved the eggs out of the stifling nest box, then back in again when the temperature dropped a few days later. I just happened to be able to see her do it AND have my camera with me at the time! (First broody, I bothered her a LOT during her "confinement.")
    [​IMG]

8. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    How cool and what a good picture. I had no idea they would do that! [​IMG]

9. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't wait till I get a broody.

10. Ma Noob

Ma Noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    South Australia
    i just watched my broody wiggle her eggs around, its too cute, I love how she is able to spread herself out so far!!

Was also really really cute when she wiggled the little ones that had wandered out back under. And her broody clucky sounds, I could watch her all day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by