Momma won't let chicks out of nest

mtngirl35

Songster
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
Tennessee
I posted a few days back about a stubborn broody hen that refused to be moved to the maternity coop. I finally left her in the main coop but a lot of her eggs got broken so I went and got her some baby chicks and stuck them under her at night. She has accepted the chicks as her own but now she won't let them out from under her to eat and drink. I have to move her off the nest and the chicks all make a bee line for the feeder so I know they are hungry. I also saw some pasty butts from having to poop and lay in it. Once the chicks were eating I moved Momma to the maternity coop and then cleaned the chicks and put them in with her. I'm hoping she will calm down soon. I want to leave them alone and let them settle in but if I don't move her they don't get to eat. This has been going on for 2 days now. The chicks are 5 days old. I have had broodies set and hatch before. I have put chicks under broodies before but I have never dealt with such an overprotective, aggressive one before. Any advice? I have to go back to work tomorrow and I don't want the chicks to go hungry.

If you've been through this before with broody-raised chicks, you understand their needs. You also appear to be coming to the conclusion that this particular broody hen may not have the chicks best interests at heart. You may need to make the decision to remove the chicks from the hen and brood them yourself.

I suggest the heating pad system since it would be a much more natural transition for these chicks than sticking them under a bright heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom