*Monday night Update - dog bite - graphic pic

carousel

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 31, 2008
NW Oregon
* Monday update on next page.

One of my friends chickens decided to leave the "chicken yard today" and went into the dog yard.
she is eating, drinking, is now in the house in a dog crate, on liquid antibiotics in her water, wounds have been cleaned with betadine solution and tipple antibiotic has been applied to the wounds.
is there anything else that people think should be done? here are the pictures of her? she plans to clean the wounds each day. Our thought as to leave the wounds open to heal from inside out because of the dog bites. If someone else has other advice we are welcome.

when she called me today her first question was how to humanly kill her.
But she is eating and getting around so she is going to try to treat her.

this is under her wing, it is longer than it looks (one handed camera/chicken holding) my friend said it did not gone into muscle but it is the length of her body.
girlfriend1.jpg

girlfriend2.jpg

this is back of her neck, my friend feels while ugly it is pretty superficial
girlfriend3.jpg

this is on top of her base/tail
girlfriend4.jpg

my friend says there is a puncture there, she was able to irrigate it pretty well.

Last edited:
I think you are doing everything right. Be sure and keep the wounds clean and keep her in a quiet place. Stress is what you are gonna have to worry about right now. Goodluck!!

Yowza. I'm an emergency vet tech and you are right about not wanting to close the bacteria into bite wounds, but when they are this large we do usually suture them closed with drains. I would be real suprised if she makes it. Keep her warm, clean, dry and alone. Who knows, she may do great! Give her my love <3

I had a hen pretty messed up by a dog. I did cut the feathers real short around the wound. Kept her dog crate dark and dry. Cleaned it every day, and she did fine. My husband wanted to put her down, but I said no way. It took over a month for her to heal enough for me to allow her back with her friends, but she was fine.

you guys are great, the only antibiotic she could find was Duramycin 10
so that is in her water.
she IS eating, she is giving her her regular food plus some scrambled eggs.
now we cross fingers.
for my friend, I really hope she makes it. Next will be wing clipping time for the chickens. Her dog is not a bad dog, he delivered the chicken to her when she saw what was going on, he just didn't know it was 'not a toy'.
I thank you for such fast response, and we welcome all advice.

Last edited:
Update on my friend's chicken,
She made it through the night!
she is still eating, drinking and pooping. roosted on the piece of wood my friend put in her dog crate last night.
yesterday she laid a normal egg several hours after the attack.
Early this morning she laid a soft/no shelled egg. She seems alert.

question -- I know it is early but it seems as if she had internal injuries she would be having more problems?

Seems as if her biggest risk now is infection?
thanks guys!

She could be in some pain, maybe crush a regular aspirin in a quart of water for her, and keep checking her wounds. She looks pretty good despite her wounds. I hope she heals well for you and your friend.

Hey there!
smile.png

Okay..I have a neighbor from hell, and their dogs nearly took out my entire flock over two years ago (on Christmas night, no less!)...that being said, I had to nuture my remaining flock (two hens and my rooster) back to health.
First up...You are doing EVERYTHING right!!
I started by separating them until I felt the stress factor had been reduced and they were eating/drinking normally.
I pampered my birds also by feeding them yogurt mixed with feed..to help with their internal bacterial balance.
One of my hens had the skin of her entire back ripped off - I really thought she was a goner! But I kept her wounds as clean and MOIST as I could and believe it or not...she never developed an infection. A year later (yes, it took that long for new feather folicles to grow back!) she now grows feather and looks fantastic.
Get ready for the smell..as old necrosing skin falls off (eww!), new skin will form.
After a while, I simply had to move the birds back to their coop. As we all know, a coop can be a pretty dirty place - so I took a chance and sprayed (don't laugh) Blue Kote on their wounds daily. It totally worked and discouraged the other birds from pecking at their wounds...and my babies just turned 4 years old this past week!
It can be a long haul...but you sound like you're giving this baby every chance in the world to make it!
Best of luck and keep us posted!
- Sandy

Back
Top Bottom