Money making Ideas?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CluckGirl, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CluckGirl

CluckGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    NJ
    [​IMG]

Hey y'all! Hows every ones life doing?

So I live on a acre and a half of land own 2 miniature horses 2 goats(that I'm probably going to sell) and 25 something chickens.
    I'm wondering If all have some ideas on how to make some money, don't need to get rich (know that wont happen lol) but would be nice if I could make enough to pay for their food. So other then egg selling do y'all have some Ideas? Thanks y'all!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Raise chicks till the point that you can sex them. Then keep the males for food and sell the pullets at $10 to $20 a bird. This is how I cover most of the feed and hay costs. Especially since I hatch year round, and feed stores stop stocking chicks after July. Customers don't have to pay the small order and shipping fees that hatcheries charge, they get guaranteed sexing, and they don't have to worry about brooding young chicks.
    *Plus, I don't end up having to feed a bunch of growing birds till they are point of lay. Selling as soon as gender can be identified is key.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I get $10 each for laying hens, $2 each for chicks. I highly doubt I will ever break even or come close. I look at my chickens as a hobby. Right now, I can afford my hobby.

Ideas for your farm: locally we have a farmer who brings his mini horse to the grocery store, stands outside with it, and his wife takes pics of children with the horse. They have cowboy hats, bandanas, little bits of garb the kids can put on to dress up their pic.

Your goats, are they male? Female? Both? You could sell the kids, milk, or sell them as you stated you might.

Gardening is a passion of mine and if I had time and did any good this year, we could've sold a bunch of tomatoes as well as any other fruits and veggies. My chickens ate our blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, tomatoes, green peppers, you name it, because we let them free range, they seized the opportunity. Maybe next year, I'll have them fenced in.

Have a good day!

4. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Not sure what sex your goats are, but you could always sell their milk, make lotion, or soap. Do you bake, sew, garden, or do crafts? I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

I think we all would like to bring in a little bit more money. :)

5. CluckGirl

CluckGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    NJ
    I have a wether and a doe (who is dried up at the moment) I can be crafty and I know the basics of sewing. and Unfortunately Its not Legal to sell raw milk where I live, its stupid, People should be able to choose where their milk comes from.

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I would look into making soaps and lotions out of it then like @TexasLisa said if she throws a kids and produces milk again. Everyone around here loves goat milk soaps, lotions. If you ever get the chance to google the story of Burt's bees. He started with one bee hive. He chose to sell his company, but thru the line many, many people have profited from one woman's vision, and one man's bee hive.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Good idea. That's genius! [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Right! I hear so many go on about how much it costs to raise them to point of lay that by the time the birds are sold, they don't make any money. WHY?! If you know it's a pullet, and you don't plan on keeping her, sell ASAP. You get the same dollar amount, and you increase your profit margin. Keeping the males to fill your freezer saves on the grocery bill.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I plan on getting a lot of breeding stock in a couple weeks...I would try doing that in the future, but I don't want that many broilers, if any at all, and I don't know anyone to sell them to.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I've got three growing kids. Good meat costs a lot. I'm more than happy to have that addition source of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by