Mongooses?

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
Does anyone here keep chickens where mongooses are? Just wondering if they need to keep their chickens up away from them, or of full sized poultry are safe to roam about. I figure something like a silkie would be a sitting duck, but say, something like sussex or marans, javas, ameraucans, stuff like that.

yuckyuck.gif
Glad you asked it first!
gig.gif

I'm glad you ask first too!
gig.gif
I was imagining mongooses from SoCal migrating to AZ and now there'd be just one more predator to defend against.
lau.gif
(we actually have a thing like a mongoose called a coatimundi here in AZ, but they are rare).

No, no no.... LOLOL
lol.png
No mongooses in So Cal... I am contemplating moving to the Virgin Islands, where I grew up. There are chickens everywhere, but they are the feral game type, small, fast, wirey sort of birds, mostly game mixes. I am just trying to figure out if/how I could do chickens down there if I moved there. I am going to go visit in a few weeks. Have not been there for 35 years, and want to really scout it out and hopefully talk myself out of it. Or into it.... I already have my eye on a KILLER piece of property, NOT zoned for chickens, but it is in a sparsely populated area, and an acre, and walking distance to a quiet sandy beach, and near the yacht club, and near my childhood friends, and ... so cal sux.

there are mongooses aplenty in hawaii, which is where i am. i keep my chickens in a coop/run that is mongoose proofed so i haven't had any problems. however, i've definitely been warned that mongoose kill chickens. i'd say that if those things take on cobras, it's fair to say that a chicken, even a big fierce chicken, probably wouldnt faze them.

doesn't mean you can't keep chickens but you will have to either keep them penned or take the free range risk. note that mongoose are creatures of the day time and are good diggers.

that property sounds great. good luck!

also, i will say that i see chickens running wild all over the place. i also see mongoose all over the place. so, somehow those wild chickens are managing to keep alive.

i guess it's just a question of your tolerance for potential losses.

Back
Top Bottom