Monkey see! Monkey do! 🐓🐥they copy each other !!

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
I’m realizing chickens are a lot smarter than I thought! They learn off of one another!! I have a ptsd pullet who I had to help heal. She was very attached to me and would watch me go up to flights of stairs after opening the coop.

all was great, until she started coming up every day! Poop galore! All over my porch. It was suggested, to get her a friend so she’d have company and be a normal chicken. Well.. one chicken .. two chick .. on my porch ! They both go up and down the stairs all day long !

than today.. I’m working and I hear a very loud crow. OH No! The rooster came upstairs.

they copy one another’s habits! And are pushy for grain !!!

I watched my broody pullet teach her chicks how to drink out of a nipple waterer. They watched her and learned how to do it within seconds. Monkey see, monkey do! 😃

D4BB289D-3E36-4EAB-98A4-A98EA1CA2EDE.jpeg

Attachments

• 0FBCF51F-D1E3-4A16-BA39-3A682ECF3194.jpeg
    0FBCF51F-D1E3-4A16-BA39-3A682ECF3194.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4F07FDAB-8F82-408B-9E61-857DBCD3632A.jpeg
    4F07FDAB-8F82-408B-9E61-857DBCD3632A.jpeg
    528.9 KB · Views: 4
I used to have this board up while my flock was free ranging so they couldn't go to this one side of my yard. They were fine at not going over it, until one day I made the mistake of going over that board while my Golden Comet, Lily was watching. Next I knew all my birds where going over that board! :lol:

They've actually done studies on this. They took a flock of chickens to a new place and letted them free range while recording all their moves. The flock went all over the place before eventually finding some really good spots to hang out in. Later, they removed the flock and showed the video to another separate flock of chickens. Next, they placed the second flock out in the same spot. Instead of going everywhere like the first flock, the second flock immediately went to the spot where the first flock liked. Now that's Science!

I watched my broody pullet teach her chicks how to drink out of a nipple waterer. They watched her and learned how to do it within seconds. Monkey see, monkey do! 😃
My latest broody, I don't think can see correctly, so when I fed her a piece of plantain weed, she ate it wrong, and the hard way. I was also giving her chicks some, and they were eating it correctly... Until they saw how their mother was eating it. Next thing I knew, they were trying to eat it the wrong, hard way. :rolleyes:

Have you tried putting a gate at the bottom of your steps? Maybe that would help?

Have you tried putting a gate at the bottom of your steps? Maybe that would help?
I did put up a gate, one of them is on the top and they went through the bars. I put a kiddie gate at the bottom, but I have to constantly remove it to let the dogs out and they are up right away (chickens not dogs).
That’s amazing that chickens can place a photogenic memory !

This afternoon I am doing some physical therapy for my silkie who is injured. The gate was down and everyone was heading up.

Definitely a new meaning to free range chickens. They will sneak into the house if we accidentally forget the door, due to the dogs coming in. This behavior is all being learned by the one young pullet.

Attachments

• B125D87B-2374-4A2B-98FB-099593BEE81D.jpeg
    B125D87B-2374-4A2B-98FB-099593BEE81D.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 4
I did put up a gate, one of them is on the top and they went through the bars. I put a kiddie gate at the bottom, but I have to constantly remove it to let the dogs out and they are up right away (chickens not dogs).
That’s amazing that chickens can place a photogenic memory !

This afternoon I am doing some physical therapy for my silkie who is injured. The gate was down and everyone was heading up.

Definitely a new meaning to free range chickens. They will sneak into the house if we accidentally forget the door, due to the dogs coming in. This behavior is all being learned by the one young pullet.
I used to have a whole flock on my porch. Don't ever line your steps with pumpkins. :lol: I sitted up some gate for my porch, and it worked to keep them out, but was difficult for any human to pass through. Eventually, due to neighbors, all my chickens have to be penned now. Perhaps, if you pen up your pullet for a month, she'll forget about the porch and nolonger go up it?

Back
Top Bottom