Monster egg from new layer.

CoffeeKat

Chirping
Jul 29, 2021
Southeast Tn
My Sapphire gem laid this egg today. It’s probably her second or third egg she’s laid, and man, it’s huge compared to my other girls. The top end is very wrinkled. Any need for concern? I’m a new chicken keeper.
I can’t believe she laid it. I kept asking her if she was ok after passing that.

Attachments

• C6505023-2D4A-4C61-857E-E2C68B2A7F10.jpeg
    C6505023-2D4A-4C61-857E-E2C68B2A7F10.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 15
  • B6701C05-5416-490C-9E5C-C16D40563FBA.jpeg
    B6701C05-5416-490C-9E5C-C16D40563FBA.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 7
My Sapphire gem laid this egg today. It’s probably her second or third egg she’s laid, and man, it’s huge compared to my other girls. The top end is very wrinkled. Any need for concern? I’m a new chicken keeper.
I can’t believe she laid it. I kept asking her if she was ok after passing that.

As @All4Eggz said, above. Perfectly normal. Most likely, its a double yolk.

As new hens begin laying, it frequently takes a while for their plumbing to get into a routine and work the "kinks" out of the process. Sometimes, that means a tiny "fairy" egg, with no yolk at all. Sometimes, it means a massive egg that puts ducks to shame, often with two yolks inside. Extra calcium in thick deposits outside. Eggs so pourous they are almost filled with windows. Shell-less eggs, etc.

In birds over a year old, studies I've read put the chances of one of those oddities between one in several hundred and one in more than a thousand - but in new layers, those defects are at least ten times more frequent.

Only if she continues to pop out large eggs like that is there a problem, and its not one you can really do anything about, except to expect a very short lifespan and likely further reproductive problems in the coming years.

/edit and when a duck lays a double, that's a sight to behold. Thankfully for the birds, they do't have pelvic rings the way we do, so its not as dangerous (or as painful) as it would be for mammals like ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom