Monster eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have finally started getting more than a dozen eggs from the chickens now. They have been laying for about two and a half weeks. One chicken seems to give me this really large egg every 2nd or 3rd day and it is always a double yoker. Cool, huh?

2. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That is cool most of my chickens have never gave me a double yoker you are so lucky [​IMG]

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I sure hope that does not give the hen trouble. I had a Brahma mix and she layed hugh eggs for a while and then started with the prolapse thing. After 4 months i finally broke down and culled her. She just looked to be suffering. I haope your hens were bred for those eggs. Enjoy if they were. jean

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    My chickens normally lay normal eggs.

Once though a while ago, I think in January my chicken Eggie layed this HUGE double yoker,

It's a change from the boring old eggs isn't it?

My chicken Feathers also brings surprises. She layed this tiny weeny little eggy a few days ago.... we ate it yesterday and the yolk was about the size of an Aussie 5 cent. so cute!

5. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    This is our first time having chickens much less having fresh eggs. I hadnt thought that it might be a bad thing for the chicken to be leaving us that many double yokers. I dont even know which girl it is. I am just assuming that it is one chicken because it happens every 2nd or 3rd day. Dang it, now I have something to worry about.

Mjd

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Congrats! [​IMG] Love big eggs! [​IMG]

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Sometimes a hen who is just starting to lay has trouble with her laying mechanism getting into sync (someone else can probably explain it more technically correctly). Once she regulates, she may lay normal eggs. I have an EE hen who started out laying jumbo double yolkers all the time, and now is laying smaller, single yolked eggs.
    Then again, I have a friend who said he grew up with a hen who layed a double yolker all her life. So who knows?
    [​IMG]
    Tape measure is poorly lined up, but that egg was fully 3" long!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. I gotta get my camera. It is always on back order. Thinks i will just have to get it someplace else. Anywho, i have a biggin egg in the frig just waiting for a pic. I will edit this post with a pic as soon as I get that camera. It is one of those 3 inch monsters. When i found it i just said "ouch".

9. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    You guys are gonna make me take a picture, huh? Seeing as I am the one who is always putting this up in peoples post --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  10. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I get a double yoker a few times a week. They are like 2 of a normal egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by