Montana

Does she want grown hens or chicks? My husband drives to ND on Thursday for work. He could bring her some Olive Egger chicks that are 4.5 weeks old now... Off heat, have been for a two weeks (we believe in tough chicks). Let me know if that's something she'd be interested in :)

She might be interested in these. I'll call her and see what she says and let you know asap. Thank you so much for your offer. :)

Holy Smokes.....was it hot today in the Billings area. Drank 6-32 oz, St. Vincent thermal mugs of H2-O and Gaterade while insulating the ceiling of the coop and putting up the plywood that is the ceiling. Think I took more breaks than I did work....but at least it is done, and I stayed hydrated! Now on to insulating the walls & covering them. But, tomorrow is my "Monday" at work, so coop work slows down again until my week end. After a 10-hr work day and these temps, just don't have the oompf to do much when I get home.

My helper dogs were not even out with me today, they stayed inside in the AC.

Our chix's got cold watermelon this afternoon and a frozen 2-litre bottle in their waterer, they are so ready to be in their coop, instead of their temp area in the barn!

What do you do for your chix's when the weather is this hot?

Deb

Well the whole Missoula area had a big ol' wind storm that knocked out power to most of us. We were out for 8+ hours or so. AWESOME! Lol. We broke out the propane camping stove to make grilled cheese sammies for lunch and hung around working outside until the power came back. It was sure an interesting experience to say the least. It was around 80 or so here, and we had raining on/off all day.

My hens either boycotted laying today (got 2 from 11 girls!) or they all found a new place to lay that I haven't found yet... may have to stalk them tomorrow. We'll see. My Muscovy duck is still setting, so this is promising! Only 32 more days! Hah, that feels so far off... Hopefully she hatches out all 14 of those eggs!

I'm cleaning the house now that I can see my way around better. Man, am I late on my spring cleaning this year!

I am moving my day-old chicks (12) to the brooder in the barn tonight, and going to do some checking on my bator before I start up the next batch. Had half the ones that went into Lock Down fail this round- my worst hatch rate yet, and these were my same eggs I've been hatching the last 3 months :( Any tips for the Genesis 1588 would be super de duper appreciated!

Please everyone say a few prayers for Lunacroon and me, the road that Lunacroon lives on was evacuated earlier today due to a large fire, and I have just been put on evacuation notice. The fire is 0% contained and has grown to over 10,000 acres in just the last few hours. I can take my dogs to where I work, but what to do with the chickens and my brand new baby chicks.
Here are a couple of photos I took earlier

I made it through the night with out leaving, I was highly advised to evacuate twice, but my house is pretty defenseable, I don't have any trees within about 100 feet of my house, and the grass is short around both the house and chicken coop. I was up most of the night with water hoses ready. I had 2 very sweet young men that hunt my land come up with a trailer with 3 1000 gal water tanks and they soaked everything on the side that the fire was comming from. I have not heard if there were any lives lost, but several homes and 2 business were lost.The fire got to within about 100 yards of the Signal Peak coal mine, where they had 100 men fighting to keep the coal from catching on fire.I can still see smoke comming from Lunacroon's area, and have not yet heard if people are allowed back in that area yet. The fire is still burning, but has moved well to the east of me.

My heart goes out to you all who are in the line of fire, and to those I do not know also. Fire is complete and devastating. I cry when I think of the homes and businesses destroyed all the time. I will be praying for you all !!!

Azriel I have a friend over there near the fire too. Said it was moving away from them. Hope it stays cool so they can get a handle on it.
I remember the fire up there in the 80's.
Just giving you some info look at gettiung some Fire Ice. That is what was used up in Browning this spring when those fire broke out. They saved several homes with it.
Stay safe!

Got friends in Colorado Springs who are watching the fire down there.

Back
Top Bottom