Montana

Thank you so much do you need to be present in the process of the judgiing your bird?

No, but we all love to stand nearby to catch the judges comments...if he'll let us. Most 4H judges allow 4Hers to go around with them to hear comments on how and why they judge. It's even fun and interesting for us parents!

Thanks for the warm welcome!  We went to Murchochs this morning.  Their chicks just came in.  We took home 8 and they seem to be doing great so far!  Got 2 of each; Orpingtons, Black Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, and Cuckoo Marans.  

Cool! I got my birds last year the 1st week of March. They started laying late July. You have so much fun with them, the time just flies by. Welcome to the site!

Anyone in the Billings area? I have 2 Cornish cross meaties for sale or trade. The Tractor Supply in Laurel gave me the wrong birds, was supossed to get White Rocks. These babies are just over 2 weeks old and are very healthy and growing fast. I cannot cull them myself so I need someone to take them off my hands. Please help!

Haven't posted in a long time! Happy to say we are replenishing our dwindling mixed flock, with 13 chicks picked up at Big R West in Billings on March 8th. Going mainly with Black Australorpes as we have had the best luck with them - all of the original 4 survived our predators, and have proven to winter well. I think it is true what I read on this site that some predators think they are crows or ravens, and avoid them. Broody, but good egg layers otherwise. We got:

8 Black Australorpes
1 Easter Egger, Straight Run (hoping this one is a rooster because our other rooster died protecting the flock)
1 White Brahma
1 New Hamshire Red
1 Speckled Sussex
1 White Plymouth Rock

The last 4 are new breeds for us, it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
We still have 8 of the original flock, now two years old, so are looking forward to the work in integrating the young ones. We lost 4 of the original flock due to dog, hawk, or coyote attacks (never saw the culprits in action), and one RIR fell dead off her roost for unknown reasons. If all goes well, we are hoping to have close to 20 layers this fall! Just put the screen over the brooder box tonight as the little ones are beginning to fly! Have a great weekend all!

I love my Australorps! I never thought about them looking like crows or ravens. I always have ravens in my trees here. I don't have to worry a ton about predators (except local cats and dogs) as I live in town, but my coop is built to keep them out.
I have 8 australorps and 2 silver laced wyndottes. I am attempting to hatch out barnvelders this year, and some barnyard mixes. I am also hatching quail for the first time this year.

Haven't posted in a long time!  Happy to say we are replenishing our dwindling mixed flock, with 13 chicks picked up at Big R West in Billings on March 8th.  Going mainly with Black Australorpes as we have had the best luck with them - all of the original 4 survived our predators, and have proven to winter well.  I think it is true what I read on this site that some predators think they are crows or ravens, and avoid them.  Broody, but good egg layers otherwise.  We got:

8 Black Australorpes
1 Easter Egger, Straight Run (hoping this one is a rooster because our other rooster died protecting the flock)
1 White Brahma
1 New Hamshire Red
1 Speckled Sussex
1 White Plymouth Rock

The last 4 are new breeds for us, it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
We still have 8 of the original flock, now two years old, so are looking forward to the work in integrating the young ones.  We lost 4 of the original flock due to dog, hawk, or coyote attacks (never saw the culprits in action), and one RIR fell dead off her roost for unknown reasons.  If all goes well, we are hoping to have close to 20 layers this fall!  Just put the screen over the brooder box tonight as the little ones are beginning to fly!  Have a great weekend all!
I have a mixed flock also.
2 speckled Sussex
1 Red comet...the Boss :)
2 Black Sex links
2 EE
and my new babies are 2 Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 EE and the two cornish. Which I'm sorry to say will be sent to somebody's freezer.
Out of my older flock my sex links and EE's are the best layers...my EE are in their first year and the rest are old ladies...lol...hoping for winter eggs with the new flock. I found a breeder of Olive Eggers and Cuckoo Marans in Billings and hoping to get two of each in May sometime. Just built a new 8x8 coop and am busy finishing the inside so I can move my babies out of the house in a week or so. Raising chicks is hard worK but very rewarding. First time with chicks.

You are building a nice flock chicknmama! My first attempt at raising chicks went well, they all survived to adulthood. We are trying to pick up and hold each chick at least once per day to tame them. We hold them upside down and stoke their breast, some of them are going asleep! I use two 250 W heat lamps to keep them warm, one went out last week (which I quickly replaced) so I was glad I had two on. I would hate to lose them to hypothermia. Had to cover their 2' high brooder a couple of days ago because they are beginning to fly! If you keep good water in there, some sand for grit, and chick starter food, they should do fine. We also treat ours with hanging Baby Cakes that we buy from Big R, but they cost $10 each and I don't think are necessary. Our current plan is to brood them for about 8 weeks and then try to introduce them to our adult hens by putting them into a separate chicken pen in the middle of the yard. This will be our first time introducing the young ones to adults. We only have one coop, so I hope they learn to get along pretty quick! Have fun with those young ones! Any feedback on transitioning the chicks to the flock would be appreciated. And, currently, we have no roosters. Maybe one EE rooster is beginning to develop!

You are building a nice flock chicknmama!  My first attempt at raising chicks went well, they all survived to adulthood.  We are trying to pick up and hold each chick at least once per day to tame them.  We hold them upside down and stoke their breast, some of them are going asleep!  I use two 250 W heat lamps to keep them warm, one went out last week (which I quickly replaced) so I was glad I had two on.  I would hate to lose them to hypothermia.  Had to cover their 2' high brooder a couple of days ago because they are beginning to fly!  If you keep good water in there, some sand for grit, and chick starter food, they should do fine.  We also treat ours with hanging Baby Cakes that we buy from Big R, but they cost $10 each and I don't think are necessary.  Our current plan is to brood them for about 8 weeks and then try to introduce them to our adult hens by putting them into a separate chicken pen in the middle of the yard.  This will be our first time introducing the young ones to adults.  We only have one coop, so I hope they learn to get along pretty quick!  Have fun with those young ones!  Any feedback on transitioning the chicks to the flock would be appreciated.  And, currently, we have no roosters.  Maybe one EE rooster is beginning to develop!

Sounds like your doing well with your babies. My hubby helped me in the new coop this weekend and we got the poop board framed and built. I painted the walls for easy cleaning and now will be painting the floor today. My hubby put in some ventilation also. It's coming along well and should have my flock in this weekend. The two lamp thing is a good idea. Nights are still a little chilly. As far as incorporating new flick, everything I have read on BYC says they should be around 16 weeks. I thinks it's mostly be cause they need to stay on started until then. Unless you go to an all flock feed. Then just make sure you set out oyster she'll for the layers. Last year I tried to introduce my pullets a little early and they really got harassed. I read that a good time to introduce them is when the pullets start making hen sounds as opposed to their little peeps. Was also told that when they are ready, you add them to the coop after dark. The hens are asleep and they just all wake up together. Seems like it's kind of a trial depending on your flock. Just do as much reading as you can. As far as my Sussex go, I'm not particularly enamored with them. They are very stand offish and don't seems to be very good layers, small eggs too. But then again, they were given to me as 2 year Olds and don't think they were handled much. They are very pretty, but don't think I will be getting any more. Good luck with integrating your flock.

Back
Top Bottom