Montana

I think I will go with All Flock and put the young ones in the coop after dark, as you suggest Chicknmama! I just want to get the chicks out of the shed as soon as possible because their brooder box is only16 SF and they put out a ton of chicken dust and I don't want to spend 4 hours shop-vacuuming out the shed! Now I am thinking about building a chicken tractor for the young ones, to protect them from the adult hens while introducing them, and giving the little ones some "free range" opportunities in the great outdoors. I figure I could build a chicken tractor for about $100 out of 2X4's and chicken wire, with an access gate. Might go that route, it should be interesting!

This is an older thread, but I'm new to the forum, so thought I'd check in.  Helena Montana!
Hi there, and welcome! I haven't been to Helena but was just in Bozeman to pick up a shed kit for our new coop. Haven't been n in the state very long so I'll get there eventually. Tell me about your flock and post pics if you want

I think I will go with All Flock and put the young ones in the coop after dark, as you suggest Chicknmama!  I just want to get the chicks out of the shed as soon as possible because their brooder box is only16 SF and they put out a ton of chicken dust and I don't want to spend 4 hours shop-vacuuming out the shed!  Now I am thinking about building a chicken tractor for the young ones, to protect them from the adult hens while introducing them, and giving the little ones some "free range" opportunities in the great outdoors. I figure I could build a chicken tractor for about $100 out of 2X4's and chicken wire, with an access gate.  Might go that route, it should be interesting!
Great idea! In fact I just built one out of an old camper she'll frame and chicken wire. Looks kinda funny, but going to give it a test run on Friday when it warms up a bit.Let me know how yours turns out.

Thanks!

We have the 6 bantams that are about 3 weeks now.
They are Bruno, Tiny, Cass, Pete Wentz, Sleepy and June--no idea cocks/hens.

Out of the 5 eggs that my daughter got to hatch in the incubator, 1 hatched Sunday

This is Benedict

, 2 on Tuesday
Urie

Lucy

and then the crazy story of the 4th is here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/963011/the-last-2-eggs-in-the-incubator#post_14998338

ETA: This one is named Lucky (see the story above) with the second name Nat for the woman who walked me through assisting him in his/her hatching.

Last edited:
Thanks! We have the 6 bantams that are about 3 weeks now. They are Bruno, Tiny, Cass, Pete Wentz, Sleepy and June--no idea cocks/hens. Out of the 5 eggs that my daughter got to hatch in the incubator, 1 hatched Sunday This is Benedict , 2 on Tuesday Urie Lucy and then the crazy story of the 4th is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/963011/the-last-2-eggs-in-the-incubator#post_14998338 ETA: This one is named Lucky (see the story above) with the second name Nat for the woman who walked me through assisting him in his/her hatching.
Cute babies, sorry to hear about the little guy.

Here's a few of mine hanging out with me on the couch. They love to snuggle!

Back
Top Bottom