Montana

Yes, in Montana it is not chick ordering time right now. The shipping docks are not heated in most places, and the weather has been below zero consistently over the last several weeks. It's a good idea to wait until the temperature mellows out before shipping, say daytime temps in the 50s is a good time to ship. Between 45 and 75 are good shipping temps.

Yeah both boxes had 2 heat packs and chicks got from cackle to Missoula Montana in 24 hours I think they were sending them the moment they came out of the shell because it said hatched at 7 am and shipped at 8 am. I think most hatcheries ship day old chicks not hour old chicks lol

Oh and cackle assured me they were shipping to Alaska Washington and Montana this time of year with no problems or I wouldn't of had them ship them. I don't believe they can ship to those places when it's this cold though.

Several years ago when I got the box of dead chicks temperatures were in the teens. The next week with a heat pad and temperatures in the single digits, all the chicks arrived healthy and happy. I think a lot depends on where the chicks are stacked in among the other parcels. If they are on the outside they are more likely to get chilled.

Hey Montanans! I'm just starting week 2 of having 6 Welsh Harlequin ducklings. I'm in Missoula and raising them for the gardens at the University. Duck eggs for UM Dining!

I ordered from Metzer farms and they all showed up in great shape. I'm a newby so I might have waited if I thought more about shipping weather. I just figured they wouldn't do it if it was dangerous but that might be naive.

Hey Montanans! I'm just starting week 2 of having 6 Welsh Harlequin ducklings. I'm in Missoula and raising them for the gardens at the University. Duck eggs for UM Dining!

I ordered from Metzer farms and they all showed up in great shape. I'm a newby so I might have waited if I thought more about shipping weather. I just figured they wouldn't do it if it was dangerous but that might be naive.
I am always paranoid of shipping weather. But you can always ask for a heat pack! Billings area is actually seeing really nice weather for shipping right now, it's not super cold or super hot right now.

SELLING THE FLOCK!
We're selling all of our Chickens - 23 brown-egg layers, and 3 Brahma Roosters. They all are less than a year old, we collect about 9-10 dozen eggs each week, and sell them locally. This is a mixed-breed flock - a couple of Australorps, two or three Buff Orpingtons, 1 Naked Neck, some brown chickens - (Cinnamon Queen?), a couple of white ones (Rocks?), and a bunch of Brahmas in the hen pen. The roosters are kept separate from the hens to prevent fertilized eggs. All except the Brahmas were bought locally, and the Brahmas were bought online.
These are not showbirds, just good production birds.
This Winter was too much for me and the wife, we're getting along in years and so we're going to snowbird to Tennessee this fall. Why now that the snow is melting? We're selling them sooner, rather than at the last minute.
Includes the chickens, feed barrels, waterers, etc. and any feed/bedding, and other chicken equipment that we have bought/made - $125.00 for all.
We live in Central Montana (Grass Range) if anyone's interested. Email me for further details at [email protected] TIA

Back
Top Bottom