Montana

cbnovick, very lovely Barred Rocks, hope you get some fertile eggs from them, They are such striking birds, if I had every breed of chicken I wanted my 320 acres would be over run with chickens. There are a few breeds I need to get a few more of. I've got a nice start on my BLRW, and I have some very nice Golden Cuckoo Marans pullets, but I'm having a hard time with the roos, I've had 2 nice SQ, #1 flew into a tree trunk and broke his neck, and one of my pop doors didn't close right and a weasel got in and killed #2, so I need more of each of those two breeds, plus more blue Americana and Blue Copper Marans. Then I'd like some Cream Legbars, and some of those new Arkansas Blues if I knew they would breed true. So many chickens, so little room, I need another coop.

Azriel, here's my BLRW 7 month old pullet from Blue Poultry lines...She's a cute gal that whistles...and a very good layer thus far too.. she jsut started a few weeks ago. She's the lighter blue almost lavender...would love to add another of the deeper blue lacing. Her lacing is good but I would love to see more in the hackle. She's big and docile too. Love the dottes...(-:

OH, what a beautiful splash BLRW, thats what I want. Mine are regular dark blue, and I have 1 black. I like the Wyandottes for this north country because of the small combs, and they are great winter layers. None of my eggs that I had shipped in hatched, almost all were clear,I think they got too cold, it was a bad time to try to ship eggs in, I'll try again in March when it warms up here.

That's a beauty ! Sooo pretty and she is a good egg layer? I read where there not the best layers . I really want to have one, but want the best egg layers especially during winter.

We butchered a few roosters about 3-4 weeks ago, did everything by the book. They are now in the freezer, but I need to know: for some reason the meat is red, from all three birds (meat was red when we butchered.) Is this normal? Store bought raw chicken is usually very pale, but this is red. -- but not quite as red as raw beef. We are wanting to make a big pot of chicken soup but don't want to use this meat if the "red" is not normal.

Any thoughts??

We butchered a few roosters about 3-4 weeks ago, did everything by the book.  They are now in the freezer, but I need to know:  for some reason the meat is red, from all three birds (meat was red when we butchered.)  Is this normal?   Store bought raw  chicken is usually very pale, but this is red.  -- but not quite as red as raw beef.  We are wanting to make a big pot of chicken soup but don't want to use this meat if the "red" is not normal. 

Any thoughts??
that's weird, I would love to know the answer to this also. What kind of chickens were they?

No worries Montanachicks. Meat color in chickens depends on the breed. We raise all kinds of dual purpose breeds and some of the meat is as you describe and some is a lot more pale. It all tastes really good to us.

You also have to remember that the store bought chickens are about 6 weeks old and never get to move around. Our real chickens use their legs and move around looking for food and the meat will be much darker, much better flavor also. I have one of my 20 week old roos in the roaster for supper right now, the chicken is done, but the potatoes are taking their time.

Good to know a red chicken is ok to eat lol. Never heard of that. Of course the only chicken that I have ever had besides the grocery store was 2 I got from the huderites and sad to say I paid 11 dollars for chickens I could not cut into. They were literally to tough to eat. Made me mad, no more huderites chickens!
I got a call from the man making the coop, he is so nice! He is drawing up plans and will be dropping them by tomorrow. He is also going to install glass board on the bottom and walls, so it will be soooo easy to clean. Things are coming together so well, I also told him i would buy the beautiful dog house he had in the back of his truck for my girls I'm getting from you Azreil , they will stay on this with a door to close at night until I can totally integrate with my big girls. The dog house is so nice, totally insulated and has windows to boot. H will add a roost in there and my girls will have a nice little coop for at least a month or two.
I'm going to put it on my porch to keep my girls dry during the rains . I'm also going to get a camera so I can see who lays and who does not. I want to watch my girls while I'm away. Of course I will have to wait on taxes for that lol.
I let my girls out again today, they love the sun and sat and sun bathed while the pen door was open. It's covered right now in plastic to keep out the snow and cold, today again we left it open to give them the chance to roam the yard, they chose to stay in there pen and lay in the sun.
The rooster goes home with a nice man tomorrow, I'm glad they are taking him to be with there girls, another bird saved from the pot lol.

Cool chick pics!!!
Thanks for posting I really needed something to smile about. I would love some chickens like that!

Yeah the red meat depends upon the breed. I will raise cornish cross roasters and their legs are red too. But then again I free range and they taste aesome.

Back
Top Bottom