Montana

I found that my fodder system seems to grow best at around 60-65 degrees F. Any colder and growth is slow and warmer and mold starts.

I should post a video of the girls mobbing me in the morning for their fodder. The reaction is kinda like this.
ya.gif

See that's around what I'm growing it at temperature wise. I was told too warm mold? Now too cold as well? Oh well . I was surprised mine devoured theirs so heartily. I got clover and alfalfa I'm going to try .

I need someone thats knows ducks. My one duck makes a sneeze with a high pitched squeal. Im not even sure. If he is sneezing I have not seen him do it just heard him. Can someone tell me why what ans how? Please

I don't have ducks but chickens, however I know some worming could cause such things along with gaping their mouths, try some vitamins and electrolytes and perhaps deworm?

Hi ladies and gents, thinking you all might be as cold as I am. 6 degree's this morning and heavy heavy frost. Chickens did not lay one egg yesterday, then bright and early this morning we got 5 . It was cold enough that the heat lamp came on. Even when it's 20 degrees out side the coop is warm enough that the light does not come on so it tells me it was cold . Noticing one of my pullets is getting a real red comb, a pea comb . She is only 14 weeks can she be this close to laying? She is mixed I believe with RIR and ? She is light red and pink legs and feet. the rooster let out a half hearted cocka doodle do then I have not heard him the rest of the day. Maybe he will be slow to talk and laid back lol

Hi ladies and gents, thinking you all might be as cold as I am. 6 degree's this morning and heavy heavy frost. Chickens did not lay one egg yesterday, then bright and early this morning we got 5 . It was cold enough that the heat lamp came on. Even when it's 20 degrees out side the coop is warm enough that the light does not come on so it tells me it was cold . Noticing one of my pullets is getting a real red comb, a pea comb . She is only 14 weeks can she be this close to laying? She is mixed I believe with RIR and ? She is light red and pink legs and feet. the rooster let out a half hearted cocka doodle do then I have not heard him the rest of the day. Maybe he will be slow to talk and laid back lol

We were -11F yesterday morning when we checked our thermometer. I have my birds in three different coops. I've currently got 20 birds in one coop that's a 90-year-old uninsulated shed--I'm getting around 10 eggs daily from that group (one cockerel, several are molting). I have three silkies in a little uninsulated tractor. There are 9 turkeys in an insulated shed. None of the coops get heat--even the silkies.

I've found that the reddening-comb isn't always a great indicator of Point-of-lay--at least for some birds. I had a SLW redden-up around 13-weeks, but didn't lay until 6 months. I've also seen my least-red Cuckoo Marans pullet lay an egg, while I still haven't seen her redder ship-mate in the box.

It was -7 here yesterday morning and about 5 above this morning. I have minimal heat in my 6' X 8' uninsulated coop - only about 200W when the lights come on on top of the 150W heated waterer. The chickens all came through fine. It is kind of strange on the egg-laying, though. Only got five days the day before yesterday (the last warm day) but got 11/12 yesterday, the coldest day! It seems they "held them in" in anticipation of the cold spell! Yeah, King is not crowing quite so much lately!

We were -11F yesterday morning when we checked our thermometer.  I have my birds in three different coops.  I've currently got 20 birds in one coop that's a 90-year-old uninsulated shed--I'm getting around 10 eggs daily from that group (one cockerel, several are molting).  I have three silkies in a little uninsulated tractor.  There are 9 turkeys in an insulated shed.  None of the coops get heat--even the silkies. 

I've found that the reddening-comb isn't always a great indicator of Point-of-lay--at least for some birds.  I had a SLW redden-up around 13-weeks, but didn't lay until 6 months.  I've also seen my least-red Cuckoo Marans pullet lay an egg, while I still haven't seen her redder ship-mate in the box.
yeah there are lot of folks who do not care to insulate there birds coops , I'm not one of them. I have always had the mind set of keeping my pets from the bitter cold . Yeah I hear they do fine, and yes I heard I spoil my chickens, and heat can harm them yada yada but my girls are happy healthy and do well. It costs more to insulate, it costs more to add electricity but to me it's worth it. :D I like my molting girls to be warmer when there bare. To each his own . Insulating is easy, card board, the feed bags , so man ways to make insulation.

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I have 4 days off work and am enjoying the beautiful weather on this long weekend. It is sure going to be hard to get up and go back to work Mon morning.

Back
Top Bottom