Montana

Well, I have no hatch date, as the BA hen kept getting off her nest for hours at a time and moving to other nests, and the other hens were bothering her, so I had to toss the 8 eggs under her. I think I will have to build a separate mini-brooding coop if I ever hope to hatch chicks naturally.

I stopped in Custer this morning to eat breakfast and got to talking with a guy who turned out to be another chicken lover. He asked me if I wanted a free rooster, as he had four roosters and 12 hens. My rooster King has been getting pretty mean lately, attacking me on a regular basis, so I thought about it for awhile, and then said what the heck, King needs to be taken down a notch. I asked him for his biggest, meanest rooster, and he said none of his roosters were mean. So I followed him to his place and we herded two roosters into his coop and caught a nice Easter Egger/Leghorn mix rooster with a cool beard, and put him in a burlap bag. He settled right down once he was bagged. I took him home and released him in my pen, and soon he and King were at it. They fought for about 10 minutes - neither one was giving up, so I caught King and put him outside of the pen, to give my new rooster Prince (I just decided to name him Prince) a chance to get some food and water and get a feel for the place. The roosters are both crowing and King is quite P.O.'d. I know they will fight some more, but plan to free range the whole flock this afternoon. My new rooster is a beauty, but probably weighs about a pound less than King, and has smaller spurs and legs. He seems very agile, though, so I hope he survives. I am not into rooster fights, hope they establish a pecking order soon. Any hints would be welcome. Have a great weekend all!

Oh yeah! It's a camper shell from my husband's FIRST truck when he was 16... Why does he still have it in his possession at 35? I have no idea. But It's a great roof for a coop :) We built that coop on a huge pallet, too- so it's movable if I ever want to relocate it.

We got a few new birds today :) Will have to upload pics tomorrow!

So we got a new hen, 4 new Scovies and 3 Runners.

All 3 Runners (front) are supposed to be Drakes... I'm not sure on ONE.

I got an adorable new decorative hen, so I thought she should meet "Minnie" the new uber-friendly hen :)

Well, I have no hatch date, as the BA hen kept getting off her nest for hours at a time and moving to other nests, and the other hens were bothering her, so I had to toss the 8 eggs under her.  I think I will have to build a separate mini-brooding coop if I ever hope to hatch chicks naturally.

I stopped in Custer this morning to eat breakfast and got to talking with a guy who turned out to be another chicken lover.  He asked me if I wanted a free rooster, as he had four roosters and 12 hens.  My rooster King has been getting pretty mean lately, attacking me on a regular basis, so I thought about it for awhile, and then said what the heck, King needs to be taken down a notch.  I asked him for his biggest, meanest rooster, and he said none of his roosters were mean.  So I followed him to his place and we herded two roosters into his coop and caught a nice Easter Egger/Leghorn mix rooster with a cool beard, and put him in a burlap bag.  He settled right down once he was bagged.  I took him home and released him in my pen, and soon he and King were at it.  They fought for about 10 minutes - neither one was giving up, so I caught King and put him outside of the pen, to give my new rooster Prince (I just decided to name him Prince) a chance to get some food and water and get a feel for the place.  The roosters are both crowing and King is quite P.O.'d.  I know they will fight some more, but plan to free range the whole flock this afternoon.  My new rooster is a beauty, but probably weighs about a pound less than King, and has smaller spurs and legs.  He seems very agile, though, so I hope he survives.  I am not into rooster fights, hope they establish a pecking order soon.  Any hints would be welcome.  Have a great weekend all!
Dug, you have access to your eggs from the out side, so you have the best situation ( like me) just put some fine mesh over the nest box and staple it on, lock her and her eggs in! Then every day take her out to poop and eat and drink( preferably every morning) doing this from the out side ! Then when she is done, she will dust bathe a few minutes and then put her back in the box ( from the out side. ) I do this with my Brodie's and they hatch out with out moving from nest to nest. Works every time. Once the eggs hatch I take the mesh screen off and let her loose.

Hey! Kalispell here too! 
Loving this site!!!
Raeme
Hi Raeme ! Welcome to the Montana thread! :)
1f413.png
1f404.png
1f407.png
1f416.png
1f40f.png
1f402.png

Back
Top Bottom