Montana

Hello, I am  Michigan chicken lady, who was transplanted from Montana.  I am here now visiting my family.  My sister has a friend who would like 4 or 5 silkies.  I have been gone from western Montana for so long, I have no idea where to start for her.  Does anyone know of someone who has silkies who would be willing to sell a few.  She lives in the Missoula area, but would be willing to travel a little.  Thanks ahead of time.  I am sure loving being back in my Montana mountains. :)
welcome back to Montana girls , ( and 3BirdGirlz) nice to see you here :)

A guy offered to give me a free rooster last weekend. It is a Leghorn/EE cross, and very pretty, non-aggressive, and flighty. I decided to take it home because King had been getting very aggressive, attacking me and kids on a regular basis no matter how many times we would punt him back. No damages yet beyond a couple of scratches, but I was afraid eventually he could hurt somebody's eyes. The new rooster's name is Prince. King was beating up on Prince pretty bad, until Prince would just stick his head into the dirt in a dark corner of the run, and stay there. So, yesterday I made the tough decision to harvest King.

Dressed him out this morning and we just had chicken dinner. The meat tasted OK, but was somewhat tough. This after roasting in a bed of water, onions, and garlic for 2 hours at 350! The BO is supposed to be a dual-purpose bird, but I have learned that a 14-month-old BO rooster is not your prime chicken meat.

On the bright side, the new rooster now seems to be happy, is crowing again, and acclimating to the flock. It appears he will be much less aggressive than King was, and hopefully much more gentle on the hens.

Yep, that's what I woulda done. Sorry...I know it stinks to have to do that. I have bantam silver laced Cochin Roos if anyone wants some I'd give them to you :) (preferably not for dinner). They're so sweet , but each time I hatch them out I get one hen and the rest roosters! Ugh !

3BirdGirlz,
I will take a good bantam silver laced Cochin Roo if you bring it over to the Hamilton show. I plan to be there Saturday. Probably won't get there until about 10 am. Bozeman is quite a distance from there.

3BirdGirlz,
I will take a good bantam silver laced Cochin Roo if you bring it over to the Hamilton show. I plan to be there Saturday. Probably won't get there until about 10 am. Bozeman is quite a distance from there.

The silver laced are a project....so none that are really show quality. I have ok lacing but type is not there. I've been talking and working with some of the top breeders in this color to bring the color back to standards. They are all very sweet, so let me know if that is ok and I'll bring you one:)

Back
Top Bottom