Montana

No insulation. No heat. About 10 square feet of hardware cloth covered vents that never get closed off no matter how cold it is for a 6 by 8 foot coop. Vents are high in coop or in areas where there is no wind. Roosts are kept at 22 inches so that no breeze from the upper vents blows on them. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. Run is covered and sides of run are covered with clear shower curtains in winter. Food and water is kept outside in the run year round. Use deep litter in run. Chickens did fine last winter, even when it was -22.

Hey all! Is anyone else still waiting for their Ducks (or Chickens) to start laying? I'm over near Missoula and am worried my ducks have delayed their laying because of how horrible the smoke was in my area for a month or so in July and August. They barely got any sun because the smoke was so bad. Am I just being paranoid, or could it be a possibility?!?! They are 25 weeks now (1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Blue Swedish, and two Cayugas) Everywhere I am reading they should be laying by now, but nothing. I have tried every little trick I have heard of....any suggestions or is anyone else having trouble in the area?!?!

Mine hatched in February, and started laying in June, but they didn't lay until full capacity until September. They're a lot more active now as well. We were between the Lolo Peak and Hidden fire so we got smoke from both. My garden was crap this year too.

Back
Top Bottom