Montana

Pics
Honey on the comb is the best way to know its real ! Fake Honey In Stores – Learn How To Identify The Real Thing
in HONEY FACTS
Will The Real Honey Please Stand Up

Don't Let Fake Honey Prevent You From Enjoying The Real Deal
You used to be able to go to a store and purchase a bottle of honey without worrying about whether the product you just bought is actually honey.  But, unfortunately, you must be careful.   Even though the honey may look like honey, it might just be counterfeit honey, a fake.  Honey in stores require careful consideration.

Today we’re going to discuss whether or not it’s possible to spot a fake, and how you can determine what is a good, quality honey.

Ultra-filtration

It has been reported that about 75% of all honey in stores are labeled “ultra-filtrated”.   This process removes all impurities such as pollen and wax.   Most generic brands of honey are usually ultra-filtrated.  And this is our first tip.  Stay away from honey that is labeled ultra-filtrated.   Why?

Pollen, removed by the ultra-filtration process, is the only way to determine  the source of the honey.  So when the pollen is removed, it can be from the US, China or somewhere else.  No one knows. Some countries, especially China, have been known to smuggle honey into the United States.  What’s wrong with this smuggled honey from China?  This honey is tainted by illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.  Plus, some dishonest companies add corn syrup or some other type of sweetener to honey to increase the quantity.

The FDA has done little to prevent this dangerous type of honey from showing up on our store shelves.  But they have stipulated that honey that has been removed of its pollen and has undergone the ultra-filtration process cannot be labeled honey.  So, a good rule of thumb is to be wary of ultra-filtrated honey, because there is a good chance it is smuggled honey from China or some other country.   So, what should you do if you want good honey?

Know The Source

Honey from local farmers is safe.  Usually these farmers will not alter the honey in any way.  I buy most of my honey locally from farmers, and this type of honey has never been heated or “touched”, just put directly in jars for selling.  Honey in this state provides the very best health benefits because all its components are intact and it hasn’t been altered.

Manuka honey from New Zealand is a very superior honey with loads of health benefits.   You may pay more for this honey, but it is well worth the price.  In fact, the FDA has approved of Manuka honey for use in burn and wound care in the United States.

Also, another way to know if you have  quality product is to buy your honey in the comb.

Can You Tell Good Honey By Its Appearance?

Unfortunately, you cannot look at a jar of honey and know that it is good.  Nor can you fully trust the label that says “pure honey”.   There is no law that requires a specific amount of real honey in a jar in order to be labeled “pure honey”.   Also  just because a jar of honey is expensive does not mean that it is an authentic, good quality honey.

Honey In The Comb Guarantees Its Pureness
Don’t Be Afraid To Buy Honey

Really, there is no need to be afraid to buy honey.  Like like so many other products, exercise care when searching for honey.   The benefits of honey are incredible, and it’s really sad that unscrupulous people are making it hard to identify the real deal.   Fake honey from China should not deter you from locating the best honey.  But, it can be done, and with a little knowledge and care, you won’t have a problem finding a delicious, health-packed jar of nature’s liquid gold – unadulterated honey.

If any of you readers know of a way to determine if honey is pure, please let us know.  We’d love to hear from you

She doing so good ! She will not get off the nest to even eat. We have had to take her off to feed and water, she fights it but she has lost weight and we got worried. She is sitting strong! Crossing fingers for fertile eggs.
How's my girls your way ? Can not wait to see them! How's the fancy one? Can you tell yet if male or female? Maybe you can post a pic if you have time, I know everyone is busy because it's spring . Good to see you on here :)

She doing so good ! She will not get off the nest to even eat. We have had to take her off to feed and water, she fights it but she has lost weight and we got worried. She is sitting strong! Crossing fingers for fertile eggs.
How's my girls your way ? Can not wait to see them! How's the fancy one? Can you tell yet if male or female? Maybe you can post a pic if you have time, I know everyone is busy because it's spring . Good to see you on here
smile.png

I have had those broodies also - the ones who are so focused on hatching their babies that they forget to take care of themselves. It's disturbing! Sounds like she's going to be a GREAT mother.
I moved all the 8 week olds out to their grow out pens - the for sure boys are free ranging now with the big flock - they are so cute!!! The girls (the ones that I THINK are girls) are in a coop with a pen and so far your extra pretty one is still in the girls flock - we're still pushing for female! I will get you a picture soon - I promise.

Here is. A few pictures of the hutch I got free, it's all cleaned up and junk taken out of it. My broody is in it and all comfy
Also my coop before it goes under construction this coming weekend. And the pen.

http://postimage.org/image/58x1plcuv/

http://postimage.org/image/gdqlolzyv/

Notice the path from the house to the coop lol, the grass is brown. But it will be alive and pretty in no time, we are watering as much as we can.

http://postimage.org/image/7e2wqggsf/

my kids love to feed the chickens grass, meal worms and what ever they can get to them before I stop them lol. Our coop is nice, inside and out , but we want it bigger to hold the new girls coming, and maybe 1 or two chicks.
notice the pen, totally dry all winter and comfy for the girls. I just took off the tarp down below so they can see more when in the pen, but its going to snow,or rain still so not taking everything down. We really did not want more babies, in fact tried every which way to stop her from being broody non stop. But decided to allow her to have some chicks, we will need to find good homes for them, and. Of course the roosters if there are some. Now to tell the kids again since they think they can keep everything that comes here lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have had those broodies also - the ones who are so focused on hatching their babies that they forget to take care of themselves. It's disturbing! Sounds like she's going to be a GREAT mother.
I moved all the 8 week olds out to their grow out pens - the for sure boys are free ranging now with the big flock - they are so cute!!! The girls (the ones that I THINK are girls) are in a coop with a pen and so far your extra pretty one is still in the girls flock - we're still pushing for female! I will get you a picture soon - I promise.
. I bet there getting big! Can not wait to see them and how they look now. especially the pretty one with the egypt eyes ! Thank you so much !

I can not tell you how happy I am tonight! I found a gentleman to build me a coop so I can put mama and chicks in it on Monday! I'm so happy, now to figure out where to put my 2 pullets coming :0 so many chickens, different ages argh my hair is turning grey ! Megan, how did you get the males out with the flock already? I'm hoping when I get the girls I can do the same, I know it will take a bit but I hope it's fast lol, tell me how you did it ad the flock not bother them since there so young still. I'm hoping am,a and her chicks will be safe, I'm going to let mama and her babies wonder and the other chickens I hope will say away, but penning them off for at least a few days so mom and babies are safe. Does this sound good or should I just let mom and babies go with the other flock as everyone tells me mom will not let the other birds touch them. I'm not sure about that, she was the one who was on the lower ranks when she was with the flock.
So many questions, where is everyone?

I can not tell you how happy I am tonight! I found a gentleman to build me a coop so I can put mama and chicks in it on Monday! I'm so happy, now to figure out where to put my 2 pullets coming :0 so many chickens, different ages argh my hair is turning grey ! Megan, how did you get the males out with the flock already? I'm hoping when I get the girls I can do the same, I know it will take a bit but I hope it's fast lol, tell me how you did it ad the flock not bother them since there so young still. I'm hoping am,a and her chicks will be safe, I'm going to let mama and her babies wonder and the other chickens I hope will say away, but penning them off for at least a few days so mom and babies are safe. Does this sound good or should I just let mom and babies go with the other flock as everyone tells me mom will not let the other birds touch them. I'm not sure about that, she was the one who was on the lower ranks when she was with the flock.
So many questions, where is everyone?

I have an amazing flock of birds to start with. I know this sounds snooty, but it has come with a lot of hard work and some tears. I was raised by a mother who was terrified of chickens because the birds that she grew up with on her farm were mean, so I always have the welfare of my own children, their friends and our neighbors at the forefront of my mind when it comes to managing the flock. Simply put - I do not keep mean birds. I have slaughtered very expensive roosters months after buying them if they showed an unacceptable degree of cruelty. It has really payed off! It means that I have bred into my lines good natured birds (for the most part - there are deff. the odd aggressive birds who show up). This helps with so many things, like introducing new birds. It does take some forethought and supervising, but it rarely turns into anything too serious.
OK, OK, so now that I've totally bragged about my birds....... here are a few things that I have found to be helpful.... It is good that the 8 week old boys were in a pack of about 50 - there really does seem to be safety in numbers when introducing new birds. Two or more introduced together will make your life so much easier. I put them into a coop that has a pen that is right smack dab in the middle of the pasture where the big chickens hang out. They spent a number of days closed in there - able to see and to be seen - to make some sort of introductions through chicken wire - safe from harm but the big birds were able to get used to the idea of them. Then, I opened up just the smallest little opening in the fence - only large enough for the little boys to get into and out of. It was so much fun to watch them discover the way out! We have been laughing pretty hard at their cute cluelessness!!! Anyhow - the idea was that they could get out to play, but have a safe place to get back inside of should someone begin to hound them. Well, in actuality, they scattered throughout the field and then couldn't find their way back into the hole in the fence to the food and water, so we ended up just opening up the big door and watching them. It has gone very well indeed! There are certainly the little scuffles and the shows of superiority, but mostly they have just learned the good stuff from the older birds - like where the treats show up at and where to find the dust bathing spots.
When you bring home the pullets from me, it would be handy if they could be parked in the coop or run in a cage - again, a chance for everyone to get over the shock of the new arrivals with out being able to take it out on the little girls. Wait until nighttime, wehn everyone is on the roosts and slip the new girls together on a spot on the roost right next to everyone else. In the morning, go out and make sure that everything is OK, but this works pretty well for me.
if you have a way to separate your broody hen and her new babies for the first week - where they are safe but can be seen and can see the flock - it really does seem to be a huge help in the long run. A lot will depend on the dynamics of your own flock and this mother's abilities to forage for her chicks, so watch things closely when you first combine them. You can make adjustments as things go along depending on the reactions.
Sounds like so much fun!!! (And so much work......)

Last edited:
You use very good logic, never keep a mean bird, good and sweet birds birth sweet birds. My girls are very sweet, though I have one that was in chicken jail 2 weeks ago as she was trouble making. She did it last year as a pullet to . After a day in a dog carrier she straightens right up. But I have warned my kids she will go by by if she continues. I love my girls, but I also want peace in the flock.

Megan, I'm going to do as you say, keep them in sight, but enclosed. I have now a new coop comming, and I'm going to use the hutch also. I'm debating putting the chickens at my moms, she loves chickens, ! I would have to add an electric door to open and close, she is in sever arthritic pain so I do not want her to have to do anything more then watch and enjoy them. We shall see. I'm not sure I do not want extra work lol, I may as I have explained to my kids, give the chicks away when momma is done and just keep my original 5 and your 2. I'm really not wanting a lot of birds as its not a big back yard, and I do want some yard to play in lol. My coop will be bigger, and my pen, my chickens will think there in the taj ma hall lol. It will be hard to give away, but 7 or 8 in a back yard is more then enough. Megan, did you ever figure out what the one girl was mated with besides the rhode island red? I'm hoping you can post some pictures soon, just so I can see what they look like .
I'm off to bed, good night all

So, did I tell you all that I have trained my chickens to go into the pen when I shake bee bee's in a pill bottle? Just 2 beads, and shake shake and they follow me right into the pen. Every one of them and it's sooo cute ! I wanted a way to get them into the pen fast in case I had to go some where, or what ever, just tired of trying to gathere them all in a hurry. I never let my chickens out with out us home, I do not want a neighborhood dog to kill them.i get off work at noon so they free range a good 8/10 hours a day. But I have had occasion to run to the store, or take the kids some where and it's a pain to try to get them back in there pen. Now there trained! , yep, chickens are smart and can be taught lol

Back
Top Bottom