Montgomery Wards Incubator

()relics

horse/dog shrink
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
indiana
So I went to an auction at a local community college. They have done away with their Vocational Ag program and had sold their satelite farm school and were cleaning up the rest of the 45 years of accumulations and selling everything at auction. In the corner was this Giant cabinet incubator. The story goes they purchased it new and had used it for several years on and off but had, many years ago covered it up and pushed it into a corner. So it was sold " As Is" because no one could remember the last time it had been used.
Redwood 6 drawer with a manual rod turner seemed to be nearly flawaless, a few minor scratches, but fully intact. Over the years some small repairs had been done on it, replacing a screw here and there,original thermostat replaced, but on the whole a very nice looking unit. I bought it...Paid substantially less than I thought it was worth...Brought it home...Put it in the kitchen ...plugged it in. It works like the day it was made. Holds perfect temperature and humidity. The fan spins quietly. The unit heats up quickly and ordorlessly. I tighten a few screws and replace a missing cover bolt then gave it a light cleaning and a quick coat of Old English Furniture oil. I am setting eggs tomorrow or saturday. I may rewire it, as the wires sort of creap me out, but other than that I am done.
BUT...I can find Nothing Anywhere About This Machine...Nothing...It has a plate on the front that says "Model Number 14L2-3666B Montgomery Wards"...thats it...Inside the lid on top someone, I would assume a teacher, glued the original instruction brief, but that is it. It is 46" tall by 26"wide by 36" deep. It has 6 trays each holding 80+ standard chicken eggs...Other than that Nothing....

Anybody have anything on this old girl???

0311001033-1.jpg

sorry about the horrible pic...it was with my phone...but you get the idea anyway

I called Don, upon the suggestion of a pm. He says it is a Leahy 624. Made by Leahy but plated for Montgomery Wards...He suggests that I keep it and throw anything else I have away. Thanks everyone.

Contratulations!!! I recently now have an antique redwood incubator that I LOVE also; Hubby is the process of rewiring it (our wires looked scarry too, lol. coated in fabric covering that was fraying, looking rusted). Where did you find Old English Furniture Oil? Someone suggested Danish Furniture Oil, but I have no idea where to find it. Is it an oil that you just rub into the wood? -wiping into the wood.

Back
Top Bottom