Month and a half old chick swallowed silicone earbuds

ArielS

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
Specifically skull candy black replaceable earbuds: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skullcandy-S2DUYK-628-JIB-In-Ear-Earbuds-With-Microphone-Blue/877034602

Today I was playing around with my month and a half old chicks while wearing earbuds(I normally don't do this) when one of them decided to pluck off the detachable silicone bit. I chased her around for while she still had the part in her mouth and as soon as I picked her up, she swallowed it. Her age and small size makes me concerned that this could cause a blockage. I've been going through a lot of posts on this website about chickens eating large objects and have considered three pieces of advice so far:
1) I mixed some olive oil with chick feed and fed it to her
2) I placed more water bowls around
3) I'm only considering this last option if she gets sick, but I found some detailed videos on how to empty a chicken's crop. My main concern with this option is that this chick is only a month and a half old.

Another factor to consider is that the silicone bit is very malleable. It can be squished into a surprisingly compact size but does prefer to expand to its normal size.

Does anyone have any experience with a small chick eating a silicone object, or any non-digestible objects? Is there anything else I can do to help it pass through? And if it does get stuck, is emptying a crop safe for a young chicken?

She's a black sex link, not sure if that matters
IMG_2501.JPG

I might be overreacting but I've never had anything like this happen before, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom