Month old chick staying still, fluffed up

Working hard

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
Newbie here. I have 15 chicks that are one month old today. One is not joining in with the others running around, scratching, jumping on roosts. It is standing near the brooder plate, fluffed up, closing eyes periodically. She’s been quiet all day. All chicks were vaccinated against Mareks and coccidious. Vent appears to be fine. No concerning poop anywhere.

I could be paranoid but what else should I look for?

Welcome To BYC

Photos of the chick, her poop and of the brooder/housing would be helpful.

Standing about, fluffed up, Coccidiosis does come to mind. Do you have any Corid on hand?
The vaccine doesn't always take.

I'd work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat a little. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Where are you located in the world? What's your temperatures like? How warm is it in the brooder/housing?

Welcome To BYC

Photos of the chick, her poop and of the brooder/housing would be helpful.

Standing about, fluffed up, Coccidiosis does come to mind. Do you have any Corid on hand?
The vaccine doesn't always take.

I'd work on getting her hydrated, then see if she will eat a little. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Where are you located in the world? What's your temperatures like? How warm is it in the brooder/housing?
Hi - thanks for responding. We live in Virginia. Weather has been weird the last week or so. Very hot (90’s) then tons of rain. I moved the chicks to our coop last week - we don’t have older hens. They still have their heater plate. A fan is on to circulate air. The coop is in the shade so does not get hot. I just changed them to a nipple waterer and she may not have gotten it yet so I put a bell waterer in too. I have put 2 teaspoons per gallon of Corrid. Her poop is watery but not bloody. Please tell me what else I can do.

Attachments

• 3AB209D7-7F7D-4ED2-89A4-CD1B61D5779B.jpeg
    3AB209D7-7F7D-4ED2-89A4-CD1B61D5779B.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi - thanks for responding. We live in Virginia. Weather has been weird the last week or so. Very hot (90’s) then tons of rain. I moved the chicks to our coop last week - we don’t have older hens. They still have their heater plate. A fan is on to circulate air. The coop is in the shade so does not get hot. I just changed them to a nipple waterer and she may not have gotten it yet so I put a bell waterer in too. I have put 2 teaspoons per gallon of Corrid. Her poop is watery but not bloody. Please tell me what else I can do.
Poop doesn't have to be bloody for them to have an overload, there are 9 strains of Coccidia that chickens can have and only 2 of them present with blood in the stool.

At a month old and she's hanging out under the brooder plate when temps are in the 90s is not that good of a sign.
If she's not drinking a lot of the medicated water, then I'd also give her a direct drench dose of .10ml of undiluted Liquid Corid once daily for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed water or you syringing the mixed water into her several time a day.

Possibly she's dehydrated if you've changed over to a nipple water system. I'd still push fluids (the Corid water). Encourage her to eat too and make sure her crop is emptying.

Attachments

• 1B3D283F-6256-4449-92AC-AC9AC2F678DB.jpeg
    1B3D283F-6256-4449-92AC-AC9AC2F678DB.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 14
  • D606C7D5-6A4D-47BD-B676-AA905E576824.jpeg
    D606C7D5-6A4D-47BD-B676-AA905E576824.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 14
She is doing better!!! The undiluted Corrid must have really helped. I also gave her the medicated water. She’s out from underneath the plate and roosting with friends. I’m going to keep a close eye on her.
I'm glad she's doing better. I'd keep pushing fluids on her and see how it goes.
Hopefully she's on the road to a full recovery!

Thank you, thank you for taking the time and giving very specific Instructions. It would be so easy for a seasoned person such as yourself to blow this off or to tell me to search the archives. I was in a panic bc my chick wasn’t doing well. You took the time to HELP ME. Thank you for your kindness. My chick will most likely survive bc of your advice.

Thank you, thank you for taking the time and giving very specific Instructions. It would be so easy for a seasoned person such as yourself to blow this off or to tell me to search the archives. I was in a panic bc my chick wasn’t doing well. You took the time to HELP ME. Thank you for your kindness. My chick will most likely survive bc of your advice.
You're welcome:)

I hope she's much improved in the morning. Keep me posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom