Month old chicks with bent toes - Lots of Pics Added

Engteacher

Poultry, Poetry, and Prose
13 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Hastings, MN
I hatched some chicks one month ago and noticed today that three chicks have a bent toe on each foot. I don't know if it's broken, but it's right at the joint and the joint is slightly swollen. The only trauma they've been exposed to is the way they can freak out and crash into the side of the cardboard box when startled. My son plans on showing a trio of these birds at the fair, and broken toes are an obvious flaw. Is there any way to splint the toe or should I just leave it?

Last edited:
bent toes can be a result of a fluctuation in tempature during incubation. could also just be the result of inbreeding somewhere down the line. did you hatch them ur self, or get the chicks from a breeder?

This is something new. The toes were not unusual at hatch and were unremarkable until the last few days. These three chicks have a bent first toe and it's Like an L - like at the first joint. Does something like what you describe show up after time has past? These eggs came from a reputable breeder, but it was a first hatch with a new incubator. Temperature could be a factor. They have feathered out well and seem quite robust, but this toe thing only affected these three welsummers. I figured they ended up on the bottom of a freak-out dog pile.

Would a picture help?

Last edited:
ya, if you could post pics, it could help quite a bit. idk about that kind of thing developing over time, but anything could happen...
my guess is its genetic because they all have the same condition. its verry unlikely that they would all get the same toe hurt in the same way at the same time...

I had this happen with some Cream Brabanter chicks that I hatched......The strange thing is the 3 male chicks had the exact same bent toe that you describe on each foot, while the one female chick had normal looking toes. I did not notice this at first when they hatched.....It was later on......It

Some people think the chicks may have broken the toes, but I don't think so.....I've got a nice safe brooder and they haven't had any traumatic things happen.......Eventually, I culled all the roos because their feet were just too bad. I still have the hen and she's just wonderful......

Another friend said the bent toes were genetic, passed on by the rooster.....

I really don't know....It was also my first time incubating chicken eggs, but I don't recall any temp spikes or drops......

Here's my chick with good feet. Nine chicks are fine, three have problems with toes that have just recently become obvious. Is this an injury, genetic, or temp flux in incubation?

40359_img_0945.jpg

40359_img_0946.jpg

Here is one of my chicks with the bad feet. I'm especially noticing the "first" toe, but in looking at these pics, do the other toes look normal or crooked to you?

40359_img_0933.jpg

40359_img_0941.jpg

40359_img_0934.jpg

And from behind

40359_img_0938.jpg

I would first give them a good mineral supplement - like something you can put in their water to make sure they're getting it. If this does not make an improvement it may be genetic
hmm.png

I did put vi-sol infant vitamins in their drinking water for the first two weeks after hatch, but stopped once it seemed they were filling out well. I can certainly start again if you think it would help.

Start the vitamins again. I had that happen before (and even several chicks that got to the point that they couldn't walk - they seemed frail). Once I started putting vitamins in their water they got better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom