Month old poult behavior question

Deedee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Kilgore, TX
Our little BBB poult has turned a month old and is thriving and growing like a weed.

My question is "she" has started when playing with the dogs, she's still in the house. Not ready be to put outside yet, Will ruffle her feathers, drop her winds down and "charge" with head down. Then run the other way for the dogs to chase her back. Do hens do this or is this a Tom trait mainly? I know it's to early to sex, but by features and snod, we've been call the poult a female, because the snod is very small and We had heard from a few people that if their head was more triangled shaped alot of times they were hens.
roll.png

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this matter? Thanks!!

Sounds like normal pecking order sizing up. Turkeys will fight to decide who's where in thepecking order. Since she has no other turkeys to do this with she's becoming aggressive with your dog. I would keep a close eye on that.

Does she strut or is it just charging? Strutting at that stage generally signifies a male. Hens will also strut but in my experience they not do it until sexual maturity.

My hens will charge at each other or even a squirrel they don't like. I've even seen them chase rabbits and wild birds. Stinkers!

I was really watching today. Mainly just strutting, kinda dancing. lol... not charging. Even tried to do it to my feet while I was in the kitchen doing dishes. Yes stinker!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom