Turkey poult sexing by behavior?

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
First and foremost, I don’t care if I’m right or wrong per se, I’m just curious -

I’ve poured over the forums. I’ve seen posts from people who think they can sex very young poults by the shape of their head, vent sexing, holding them up and watching tail/ legs.... etc.
I’m only on a learning adventure and I know I will have my answers in a few months, but would love some feedback/ votes in the interim.

I have a pair of poults ATM who are both very “motherly”. They decided that they needed to be with the next batch of ducklings and poult hatchlings, and immediately started to pull the babies who were ready - out of the group, show them where the water was, made sure they took a drink, then took them to the food, and then pushed them back into the “hot spot”- rinse and repeat for about a dozen total babies.

....I was a bit worried that they had broken into the baby pen, until I saw what they were doing.
1 Holland White, 1 bourbon red, hatched the same day.

I decided that they needed to stay with our flock, so I could watch their development and hope they continue to be so doting. I’d like that tendency to be a part of my lines moving forward. We shall see.

The BR appears to have a “flat” vent and a more round head.
The HW appears to have a bulge (I think.... no pro at this for sure!)
and a more “square” head. The baby HW also puffed at me twice in the last few days while I was cleaning the brooder.
They are about 4-5 weeks old.

Pix are them about 10 days old, for interest 😊

Do baby hens ever puff - like Toms trying to strut?

Again. Just for fun- any feedback is welcome 😊

Attachments

• 4A2DE35C-C794-4375-ACE8-5CC0ED1A716A.jpeg
    4A2DE35C-C794-4375-ACE8-5CC0ED1A716A.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 96CD673D-B45D-4DF7-BF1C-301BB5353B62.jpeg
    96CD673D-B45D-4DF7-BF1C-301BB5353B62.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 8
I didn’t keep track of my older turkeys when they were babies (in this regard)
I have these two, plus several other batches that were purchased by folks who will likely keep me appraised- I’m looking forward to seeing how my “suppositions” work out!
Lol
I kept my thoughts to myself for the poults I placed- sure would not want to be way wrong and disappoint someone 😐

Yes, it is a dominance thing, not a sex thing until they are mature.
Thank you!
I am working hard to let them be birds with their own hierarchy per your recommendation on another thread.

I only fuss with them to clean/ feed/ water at this point.
Having them in an outdoor brooder has also been a very positive change.
It seems to be working well for the turkey babies. They don’t give a hoot about me.
The ducklings, however, are terrified of me lol. They don’t even want pool time on hot days if I’m hanging around to make sure they are ok 😂🤦‍♀️
I’ll get this figured out!

I suggest that you start a PM and do the inviting. Every time someone wants the info, you can add them to the PM instead of having to repeat it all over again.
I’m thinking that @Quarterhorses1 should probably just post an article 😉

I’m sure many of us would be willing to add photos and add future results.

It would be a fun research project, whether proven right or wrong! 🥰

...I’ll send photos your way tomorrow, @Quarterhorses1
I have nothing to gain or lose at this point, I am only interested in learning 💕

I really don’t care who is who overall at the moment, and I am happy to wait and see if I’m right or wrong on my guesses! But I am curious to see your thoughts/ see how it works out 😊

Back
Top Bottom